got ethical husbandry?

Help me pick RO/DI Unit

iCon

Supporting Member
Did a little searching and the top 3 that seem to pop up are Spectrapure, AWI, and BRS...

Just wondering what local people were using and if there were specific features that I should be looking for. (Saw blurbs on TDS meters and pressure gauges) Also, which units utilize budget conscious membranes etc.

Looking for value but budget is $2-300 since this will likely stay with me when my tank upgrades. I think that's a sufficient chunk of change... :

All good units

The external housing is really all the same the types of filters and micron size is what is debatable.

I do have a 100gpd unit (needs new filters) if you're interested.

I got mine from The Filter Guys. Good pricing and great customer service. I have the pressure gauge and dual TDS meter (came with the package deal) but I don't see a need for the PG and the dual TDS meter is nice, but you can just as easily use your TDS meter in the water. It's like getting leather seats when you really don't mind cloth :)

I got a BRS one and I'm happy with it. It does the job. $2 - 300 is a good amount to spend. You can probably find a nice one with gauges and TDS meters.

For me, the ratio of wastewater to pure water was an important factor in choosing a RO/DI system. I couldn't afford the ultra-efficient $1000 Spectrapure model. I have the Vertex Puratek 100 GPD unit with booster pump & inline TDS meter. I have been very happy with the Puratek unit, which averages a ratio of 1:1.5 pure to wastewater. I replaced the filters after about 18 months, when I finally noticed the rejection rate dramatically rise.

Thanks for the input - Still looking for more thoughts/ideas of course :)

Eileen - Go ahead and PM me the details

Gonz - Good analogy lol. Cloth seats work but if I can get leather for $20 more sure why not

J - Which BRS one did you get? I was looking at the 6 stage (honestly, just because 6>5 and seemed to have more compared to similar AWI units at the same/higher prices) My main concern on this was the 1:3 - 1:5 Product:Waste... Any thoughts on that?

99 - Thanks for the input on the waste water to pure water. Never would have thought of that as an issue but that is definitely something I will take into account.

Question... Where does waste water go? Are RO/DI units hooked up so it just goes down the drain or can it be shot off into another holding tank for things that grow outside and require water..? I mean - Trees..Plants...Weeds.

I have an airwaterice unit. I have dual 100g membranes on my ro/di unit. I currently run my waste water to my yard. Also check out the awi sponsorship forum. There is a 10 percent coupon right now, plus I believe you can stack it with their current special.

iCon said:
Thanks for the input - Still looking for more thoughts/ideas of course :)
J - Which BRS one did you get? I was looking at the 6 stage (honestly, just because 6>5 and seemed to have more compared to similar AWI units at the same/higher prices) My main concern on this was the 1:3 - 1:5 Product:Waste... Any thoughts on that?

Question... Where does waste water go? Are RO/DI units hooked up so it just goes down the drain or can it be shot off into another holding tank for things that grow outside and require water..? I mean - Trees..Plants...Weeds.

I have the 75GPD 5 stage. There's a good amount of waste water. I hate to admit it but it goes down the drain. You can put the drain line where ever you like so you can use the waste water for other things.

I too have a 75GPD 5 stage unit. You can run the waste water wherever you want. Just purchase extra long tubing and send it wherever need be...

Oh, since you live in SF you definitely want to get a Chloramine filter as part of the unit.

Even with my efficient unit, I'm always dumping the RO wastewater into the top-loading washing machine. The waste line goes into a 32-gallon Brute trashcan, and I try to time the rinse cycle so I can use the wastewater. For those with big tanks, it's pretty hard to use all the wastewater, unless people have giant trees (like Chicken does) in the yard.

I bought the typhoon 3 from AWI last year and I don't know what took me so long to buy it. Love the unit. I installed it under my bathroom sink since I'm in a condo so space is limited. The waste water drains into the sink drain. There's an easy adapter/kit you can get with your unit to help you do that if that's the direction you choose. Customer service is also good. They send emails to remind you to replace the filters but I've had my filters for over a year and my TDS readings are still at 0 so I'm taking them further than they recommend (they recommend changing annually).

Couple used offers (thanks) and leaning toward 2 choices if going new:

AWI EXTREME TYPHOON III 150 GPD RODI with Gauge & TDS Alarm & Dual TDS Meter 270

BRS 775 GPD RO/DI 6 Stage Chloramines *DELUXE* System - 280 (250 group buy and free ship)

Also attractive about the BRS RODI is the '150 GPD Water Saving Upgrade Kit' .. for $60... Apparently allows you to achieve ~ 1:1 product to waste water ratio. That could be the deal maker for me unless the AWI unit already does that...

Thanks for everyone's input - Of course, more is welcome on both of these units and others

Or there could be an RO unit in the raffle. That could make the decision simple(ish).

Most ro/di systems are all the same. The important feature is what ro membrane is installed.
Get the cheapest model with the membrane you want. Dow 75 gal is one of the best.
The first three filters are pretty standard and you can swap filters inside like light bulbs.

The brs water saving kit is just a second ro membrane in series. You can add that to any other system.

Most of these kits use all the same standard parts and are interchangeable. Don't listen to marketing.

Back