Cali Kid Corals

Help me with my new Sympodium.

So yesterday I spotted something I'd never seen before, ever. I'd never heard of it in a book, online or anywhere. It appeared to be zooxanthellate, so I bought it.

After some research, it is being called "Sympodium" and it's an infrequently imported soft coral. It's been in my tank one day so far, and it opened up in the AM but was closed about halfway through the day and has stayed closed. The piece had a hitchhiker pavona or chalice piece (maybe, it was tiny and hard to tell) that sometime during the night RTN'ed, but the soft coral doesn't appear to be stressed that I can tell.

Since it closed early, I'm assuming I'm throwing more light at it than it was used to. Anyone kept this before and have any tips?

Here is a pic I jacked from a foreign language forum since I'm too lazy to take my own:

1479.jpg

Mine looks exactly like this but is slightly less "crisp" in coloration, possibly that photo is saturated, or it's possible mine is stressed from shipping.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Oops I guess that pic has a lot of corals in it. I'm referring to the green and blue "ball shaped clusters of star polyps" or whatever you want to call it.

Thanks.

Yeah I saw the reefbuilders article but it doesn't mention any care info.

I got it at 6th Avenue. Talk all the crap you want, they get in some oddball stuff you don't see anywhere else.

Jim, I was going to attempt to find my way across the bridge and visit you tomorrow, and I was going to bring a small piece of it. I also want to bring a piece to the frag trade and try to get this in a few people's tanks in case mine crashes. It being related to xenia scares me as xenia is prone to random crash events.

I have a customer with a small colony in a nano, it started as a tiny frag and grew at a steady pace, it seems to not have any specific requirements and is real purdy. The nano has Xenia in it which I constantly have to prune back, so the lighting varies depending on the Xenia growth, either way it doesn't seem to mind,

anathema said:
Yeah I saw the reefbuilders article but it doesn't mention any care info.

I got it at 6th Avenue. Talk all the crap you want, they get in some oddball stuff you don't see anywhere else.

Jim, I was going to attempt to find my way across the bridge and visit you tomorrow, and I was going to bring a small piece of it. I also want to bring a piece to the frag trade and try to get this in a few people's tanks in case mine crashes. It being related to xenia scares me as xenia is prone to random crash events.
Bring your refracto/ hydro and we'll ck the calibration for fun.

Thank you for the care info, judging from how slowly it's opening up this morning, I'm kind of guessing it doesn't like high flow.

I know softies are less popular now, but does anyone in the club specialize in softies or have a softy tank? I'd like to bring a frag to the swap, but I prefer the idea of this going to someone who has a high chance of it reproducing instead of the general swap, since this isn't something I grew but rather something I bought, think is cool, and would like to have the highest chance of it being around for a while.

Is this what DBTC is for? I must admit that whole thing is new to me, and I understand the concept but some of the rules confuse the heck out of me. In any case, what would be the best way to ensure that a piece I bring to the frag swap makes it's way into a softy tank?

-Gusty

I recommend DBTC for it, you'll get it into the right tank and with a DBTC thread you and the recipient can monitor and track the progress for each of your pieces.
p.s. Nice to meet you today at AC. :D

Just go to the DBTC Softies forum here http://www.bareefers.org/home/forum/54

Click on "Post New Chain", and enter your coral info and whatever you're looking for as far as recipient.

Then save your post.

Tyler at Dolphin has this as well. He sent me a pic a couple weeks ago wondering what it was.

I got a little chunk of this stuff awhile back, it needs about the same care as most of the other soft corals we keep and it grows steadily. Not too much light, not too much flow, and you're all set.

Sweet, good to see there is quite a bit of it around. A colorful, hardy softy that doesn't grow as tall as xenia is a great addition to the hobby.

Here's a pic of the frag I got a while back.

It was neglected in a frag tank for some time, and relocated to a new 150g about a month ago.

Pretty happy in the new tank.

DSCN2570.jpg

Back