Cali Kid Corals

Help --- New Skimmer wont stop overflowing

I am trying to get my new skimmer up and running and for the life of me I can't get it to stop overflowing. I have adjusted the water height as well as tried to adjust the air intake and at max air intake it still just continues to overflow. Any ideas are appreciated.

Skimmer: Bubble Magus NAC-8

Can you adjust that blue tube? Is there anywhere where you can make adjustments? It's hard to tell from the pictures on their site.

denzil said:
Can you adjust that blue tube? Is there anywhere where you can make adjustments? It's hard to tell from the pictures on their site.

That goes to show you how worthless their site is, now the skimmer is all white. I am able to spin the air/water intake tube from max to off, right now I have it at max and it still overflows. When I turn to off it goes crazy on the overflow side and has almost no bubbles.

I am wondering if maybe the skimmer wasn't put together right. Might break it down tomorrow and rebuild it.

It seams like the skimmer has to much pressure and most likely is sitting to deep. You said you adjusted the water level but if it is to deep you will not be able to stop the over skim. Try raising the skimmer higher if you have the space and see if that fixes the issue. My skimmer is now sitting in only 4'' of water.

Good luck

I will give that a try, the manufacturer recommends 9.5 to 10.5 inches of water, I started at about 8.5 and thought that was the problem. I will try going the other way and see how it goes.

It worked, dropped the water level and raised the skimmer until the bubble plate was just about at the water line of the sump and everything is going well now. Still really wet but not overflowing so it is all good.

Great :), I am glad you got it working ... I figured that you always need to tweak things to make them work .... now that you have the skimmer doing his job a good addition to any skimmer is a swabbie neck cleaner, I just added one about a month ago and it made a big difference in the skimmer performance. Just something to put in the wish list.

Happy reefing

That will have to go on the want list, I have been looking at it on avast marine but there are too many other goodies to get first like an ATO system which I am seriously considering given how much water I loose with the skimmer going finally.

ATO should be first in the list, I agree ... you don't want to have big salinity swings by adding large amounts of RO water ... mine is a very simple, cheap and effective ATO, one 5G bucket sitting on top of my oversized chiller(something higher than the sump water level) a mechanical float valve and 1/4 tubing to connect them together. Once in few months i would clean the valve and that is all the maintenance you need. I fill up the 5G bucket every 5-7 days.

Simple is sometimes better :)

I like your idea, I was looking at using my apex to do it which starts to get more expensive but I like the simplicity and cost of your plans

Back