Cali Kid Corals

help please, nudibranch on my cap

Ive had some receding flesh on a couple caps, and today I seen what I think is a nudi under one of my caps, just wondering what to do I now nothing about these things
jeremys

Bummer! :(
I can tell you that it is a serious problem if you have a bunch of montis.
They will get after them all. They hide well and lay almost invisible eggs that seem to take 3-4 weeks to hatch. I think I have gotten rid of them but I had to remove anything infested and then watch the rest of the colonies very closely.
I bought some reading glasses to magnify what I'm looking for. If the colony had a good hiding place in it like a crevice or hole then the nudi will hide and munch at night.
ANY small dead or funny looking spot on your monti is probably a nudi munching on it.
If all you have is caps then just try to save frags that are super clean.

jeremys said:
thank you, thank you, thank you,
thats what I needed

one more question, white hairy things correct?
Yup :(
Slightly larger than a flea full grown.
Babies almost look like a small grain of white sand.

I have 5 caps and several encrusting montis they are all on plugs still, should I pull them out even if there not infected yet, Im afraid the qt tank will do more damage than leaving them in the tank, I could put them in another tank but then I take a chance of spreading the nudies. I pulled like 5 large ones off one cap, and a bunch of eggs, I popped of all my caps that were attached and put them all in my qt tank, I also got about 30 more small ones off the rest of my caps. Will they hide in rocks and on other corals or just monties and if their are no monties in the tank will they die off?

thanks

They pretty much just hit montis. With no hosts they seem to die off. They tend to hid out in cracks and folds of the montis and do most of the damage at night.

I would QT (and dip in povidone) all of the montis and use a flashlight and pick away at the the nudis as you see them. It is going to take some time, but if the montis are movable you definately have a leg up. If you don't see any for a while..... keep looking, eggs hatch and it can start all over. For the seriously affected ones you can try using a toothbrush on the leading edge of the dieoff and underneath. The toothbrush method won't do wonders for the monti either but it may save some areas of it and it will recover in time. It took me several months of late night vigils to get them out. I had about 30+ montis at the time (maybe 5 years ago) and was able to get rid of them only losing one monti. Some had some serious damage but recovered in the long term.

Getting a 6 line for the QT probably couldn't hurt. There is a possibility that they, if nothing else, slow them down.

I would pull the infected ones.
I hear you about the QT.
Those little buggers get around and then go dormant and show up weeks later.
You gotta keep a keen eye out for any bald spots or anything abnormal on your monties.
I am told they will die off if there are no monties.

Ive found them on other corals, are they just looking for the right food?

What else could keep them back, I ask cause Im sure I didn't just get these and as many as I have 5 large at least 15 med. and 40+ babies, on 20+ diff corals, I had a crash that killed most of my sps and a couple fish, emerald crabs, and most of my hermits about a month ago. I have a flippin Maroon clown(darn thing lived through the crash) and a Cardinal, some small hermits and a lot of snails left. So I'm thinking something that died was eating them keeping there numbers under control, maybe the emerald crabs?

thanks again for the help guys jeremys

they seem to like the spongides(sp) the best, three different pieces in two diff. tanks and it they had the most nudis, 4-5 times as many as the others.

I was wondering if the pieces of a nudi could grow into one, or if I grab one with tweezers and it comes apart, as long as I get the body Im good, and when they die in the tank do they let out any toxins?

thanks jeremys

Back