Our mission

Help ReefDan Change His Ugly Shaped Tank Into Something Nicer :)

so i have a 29g, drilled with a 1.5 inch overflow that i am totally sick of. i want to switch to a 40breeder using the same overflow. i am going to order another bulkhead from glass-holes. i still have the drill bit.

the stand: it's made for a bowfront. it's 36.5 long, 18 at its widest, 12 at its thinnest. i know it's not an optimal situation but i plan to use a piece of plywood to support the tank evenly over the stand. the long ends of the tank's weight will rest on the stand, as will one of the other two. the back unfortunately will rest on the plywood. i know this isn't the best idea but i think it'll be okay since i've seen many-a-reefer rest on cinder blocks. if it's a really bad idea, please advise.

the plan is to move my stuff from my 29g into buckets and then back into my 40breeder. i will finally be going barebottom (sand is so dirty) and let this vortec rip.

so please, any tips or tricks are much appreciated. thanks.

I wouldn't do anything less than 3/4" plywood for toping that guy. In fact I'd probably frame the plywood out with some 2 by 4's first as well. You want to make sure the weight is being supported evenly around the entire border of the 40 breeder. If not you are prone to a tank fracture. You don't want the corners at the narrow sections of the stand bending slightly under the weight while the rest is firm. Will crack your tank IMO. Make sure that whatever you top it with is solid.

thanks bro. i'll be sure to do that.

what do you mean by "frame it out"? as you can see, i am in for a battle. do you mean 2x4s perpendicular to the short side and connect them to the plywood so the weight is even on the stand?

much appreciated

update:

someone on this site has been generous enough to build me a stand! and skin it!

thanks for the help but i guess no scary-dangerous mods required.

Back