Herbie Overflow questions

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Jeff Rehling, Nov 29, 2018.

  1. Jeff Rehling

    Jeff Rehling Supporting Member

    Coral Reefer has convinced me to change my current overflow to a herbie with two drains. The question is, my sump is mirror image, so if i drop the drains straight down, I don't think I can fit my skimmer in the first compartment. so, the option would be to have the overflow have a couple turns before entering the sump. The research online discourages any horizontal transitions. Can I get away with a couple 45 degree transitions for about a 16" drop? the herbie pipes will be below the water line in the sump, which gives me a little more clearance.

    I think what I could do is for the main drain go straight vertical, and the trickle having two 45 degree turns...


    Also, my stand it too tight to the wall to permanently attach the new return line that will snake up the back of the tank. Any advice as how to secure the line? I'm planning on using braided nylon tubing unless you DIY cats have other ideas.
  2. Vhuang168

    Vhuang168 Supporting Member

    What is your current overflow again?

    Some pictures would help.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  3. Jeff Rehling

    Jeff Rehling Supporting Member

    I'm pretty sure it's a durso. one overflow pipe and one return pipe in the weir.
  4. xcaret

    xcaret Guest

    How much space in the back? You don’t really need braided nylon since the pumps we normally use don’t require for high pressure; some vinyl hose can do the trick
  5. Jeff Rehling

    Jeff Rehling Supporting Member

    about 3". so just vinyl?
  6. Julius Chen

    Julius Chen Supporting Member

    The concern of turns in pipes is increased friction slowing down the flow.

    Trickle drain does not handle much flow at all unless main drain is completely blocked off. I’d just make sure between main and trickle drain,the one with lesser flow capacity can handle the draining job all by itself.

    The turns in return pipe is a trade off between wasted power consumption (to achieve desired flow) and the necessity for clearance/accessibility.

    If you use pvc pipe for return line in the back of the tank, then tansition to vynl tubing, you may be able to secure the pvc pipe to your stand?
  7. xcaret

    xcaret Guest

    That might be good enough
  8. Jeff Rehling

    Jeff Rehling Supporting Member

    I think I might want PVC from the pump to the return. I'm thinking I can use the existing pipes in the overflow for the drain and emergency drain. also, I should be able to remove the current Y-shaped return nozzles and install them on the new return line.
  9. rygh

    rygh BOD

    Note that only the main full-siphon drain really needs to go in the skimmer section.
    The trickle, and definitely emergency, can go to the return section, since very little
    water goes through those.
    Coral reefer likes this.
  10. Jeff Rehling

    Jeff Rehling Supporting Member

    so i could 45 degree a run into the fuge for the trickle with vinyl tubing from the pvc?
  11. rygh

    rygh BOD

    The vinyl is fine. Zero pressure. The only slight concern is the barbed fitting. The inside diameter will be
    smaller than your PVC pipe. And remember it has to handle full flow if other one is blocked. But likely fine.

Share This Page