Our mission

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to introduce myself and say hi!

I've kept freshwater aquariums my whole life, but I just started my first reef tank about 5 months ago. I started out with a 10 gallon tank, and of course I got completely hooked. I ended up tearing down my 37 gallon Lake Malawi cichlid tank in order to put my new 30 gallon reef tank on its former stand in my living room. I realize this is still a pretty small tank, but its all I have room for in my small apartment. If you want to check out the full details on the build, here's the link to my thread on Nano-Reef.com. Here's the link: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=281827

Just a bit about me...I'm originally from Florida, but I moved out to the Bay Area a year and a half ago to start my PhD in engineering at UC Berkeley. I love scuba diving and even though I miss the warm water in Florida, the diving out here is absolutely beautiful. I usually do day trips down to Monterey or Point Lobos in Carmel and I've also done several multi-day liveaboard boat trips down in Catalina. On my list of places I still need to dive in CA are Lake Tahoe, Wreck Alley off San Diego, and Mendocino shore diving.

I'm looking forward to meeting some local people in the hobby!
Felicia

Mendocino is suprisingly differnt from monterey, much more bull kelp, a few fish you don't see in Monterey (like the quillback rockfish or buffalo sculpin) and the topography is very distinct. I recomend it highly.

Welcome! I am glad to see you have already started a tank thread. I watched your tank video while on hold with the bank....Strangely I didn't experience the normal rage that comes from dealing with BofA! :D a

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Glad to hear there are some other divers here. I'll definitely have to get up to Mendocino sometime soon. Me and my dive buddy are trying to plan a trip for March. Also great to find another Florida diver. I actually did my checkout dives in the Keys!

Being on the phone with banks is the worst. I'm glad my video made it more enjoyable. :)

Not_Now_John said:
Abalone season starts April 1st, no SCUBA, but still super fun.
Yeah, I've been wanting to do it, but I've never tried free diving so I don't know if I'd be any good at it. I did go lobster hunting down in southern CA back in November.

Welcome! I'm a diver too. I just got back from a trip to Fiji where we did a bunch of diving.

Anyway, what sort of engineering do you do?

pixelpixi said:
Welcome! I'm a diver too. I just got back from a trip to Fiji where we did a bunch of diving.

Anyway, what sort of engineering do you do?
Wow! I bet diving in fiji was amazing!

I'm a grad student in Materials Science and Engineering, and I specifically work on biomaterials, so materials for medical application.

Back