Hitch Hiker Crab ID!

Discussion in 'Fish and Invertebrates' started by Tenny, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Tenny

Tenny Supporting Member

Hey everyone,

Posted this on RC also, but no response yet. I got this hitch hiker crab (was on a chalice), and saved him before the Coral Revive bath. Anyways, been floating him, and now finally sunk him with a few minor holes for water to pass through. Was looking for an ID, or if we can't figure out what he is to see if anyone wants him?

Thanks,
    Drew

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tr1gger

tr1gger Keyboard Cowboy

Very interesting. Its back legs appear to have paddles which makes me think its a portunidae. But its eyes aren't like anything I can find. Maybe someone else will have some input or that will send you in then right direction.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  3. Kmooresf

Kmooresf Supporting Member

Looks like a tiny Sally light foot crab to me.

4. Kmooresf

Nevermind, the images I'm I finding are not what I thought of a SLF crab.

5. tr1gger

tr1gger Keyboard Cowboy

neuro likes this.
  6. Kmooresf

Awesome link Dan. If I had to guess, it looks like the "Portunidae" crab. Even says "note the paddle shaped back legs."

7. Tenny

Tenny Supporting Member

8. aqua-nut

aqua-nut Supporting Member

Great link, Dan.

I like the line, "all crabs are omnivores and will eat what ever they can". Proceed with caution!

9. Tenny

Tenny Supporting Member

Anyone interested in the crab?

I'd consider putting it into the sump, but as a "swimming" crab it may "swim" out.

10. HiFidelity

HiFidelity Guest

These guys are so cool, it would be awesome in a tank by itself and when it gets too big they are edible :eek:

11. Tenny

Tenny Supporting Member

All yours if you want him :p

12. grizfyrfyter

grizfyrfyter Guest

Mantis food....

13. Tenny

Tenny Supporting Member

Poor little guy hasn't done anything wrong yet... now if he killed something of mine I'd be all for it (and have been before when I had a Mantis).

Anyways the little guy molted...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

See how friendly he looks! :p

14. grizfyrfyter

grizfyrfyter Guest

Lol. Everything is food for something. I have a peacock mantis and he gets live food at least once a week, mostly hermits and emeralds (slowly getting rid of all of them from my big tank). He looks cool, especially if he swims like the videos but in a reef tank..... No thanks. Probably get eaten in fowlr tank....

15. Tenny

Tenny Supporting Member

lol Yeah I know. When I had a peacock, I did he same thing. I slowly eliminated the hermit's I didn't want.

Are you coming to the swap on sat?

16. grizfyrfyter

grizfyrfyter Guest

Not a paid member and in sac.