Kessil

Hitch hiker ID. Sponges and possibly aptasia

I'm not sure if I'm in the right category for this but I got a lot of hitchhikers on my last coral pick up in rather be safe than sorry.

First 2 pic is of an anemone looking thing that is clear and has little bubbles on the tips
71aa0b963b3c070a9ee6cec87c7be308.jpg
e6e5051aec1c354a6358c4148e998102.jpg

The second pic is what I think is a green sponge of some sort I think that cuz it has 2 holes in it and it doesn't move around like a slug.
f76ba6736187b509bc7e9dd3867ee0a9.jpg

The third 2 pics look like aptasia to me but they r the size of small zoas and brown one is closed up and is siting on a beautiful teal sponge so I think I'm gunna pluck it what ever it is
c493f9872fe460d476ed7dfafc9f60e8.jpg
f82b2ac8135ddb786ccb603338253fcd.jpg

And last 2pics are what I think r two small neon sponges. I got a lot of sponge hitch hikers from my last coral pick up.
cb1a15916ccaf17490fba04bdf0edfef.jpg
41813d045e25cf00331eed86e8f5f8f9.jpg

I'd love some help IDing these guys I have a feeling I'm gunna pluck everything that looks like an anemone just in case of if nobody knows what they r.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I'd love some help IDing these guys I have a feeling I'm gunna pluck everything that looks like an anemone just in case of if nobody knows what they r."

I think "plucking" aptasia just makes it worse.

The first one is a type of Ball Anemone probably of the Corynactis or Psuedocorynactis genus. They prefer being in the dark so I never really had an issue with them.

I have two pink ball anemones that only visible at night.

More pics and info here.
http://www.melevsreef.com/node/493

I agree with the sponge ID.

As for the aiptasia and ball anemone. If you remove them. Dont cut them or rip them. They will just multiply! Break off a chunk of the rock that theyre attached to.

Important to ask yourself why you are buying? Stuff with aiptasia on it, and why you are getting stuff from that place? Probably not a real high quality lfs I'm guessing... If they have stuff you can see like aiptasia it's likely there will be other bad things you can't see

I got all this stuff free from some ones tank brake down. What do u think will be the best way removing the aptasia. One aptasia is on a beautiful teal spong and I'd really like to keep the spong.

I used Aptasia X and boiling water and mine came back both times. The next time I used Aptasia X and then glued the crevice in the rock. That worked.

Would aptasia x or joes juice or kalk paste kill my coral. And has any one had any luck with plucking them off then glueing over there spot

You can't pluck. Once it separates you're in danger of pieces of it remaining in the tank and water column and then growing more Aptasia. None of those things have an adverse effect on coral, although I lost a few polyps of a zoa when mine sprouted in the middle of a colony. Use one of the recommended treatments and then glue.

I had these for years, and the issue is that the smallest amount gets into the water column and they grow everywhere. Best bet for getting rid of them is to actually remove the section of rock they are on, or a butterfly fish, however they also eat coral so most times that isnt a good option

If you can put ornamental shrimp in your tank and have aptasia problems do yourself a favor and stop off at CRC and pick up a couple peppermint shrimp. I was fighting a loosing battle with aptasia X that started from a single aptasia, but it's essentially impossible to get every single one all at once.

I was starting to get a bit worried, several dozen aptasia would pop up after I would kill every one I could see. Went to CRC, got myself a couple peps, and within five days I can't find a single aptasia in my tank. The shrimp fed at night, but every day there was noticeably less until there was none at all.

If you can put ornamental shrimp in your tank and have aptasia problems do yourself a favor and stop off at CRC and pick up a couple peppermint shrimp. I was fighting a loosing battle with aptasia X that started from a single aptasia, but it's essentially impossible to get every single one all at once.

I was starting to get a bit worried, several dozen aptasia would pop up after I would kill every one I could see. Went to CRC, got myself a couple peps, and within five days I can't find a single aptasia in my tank. The shrimp fed at night, but every day there was noticeably less until there was none at all.

Only works if you get ones that already eat them, i spent over 150 on peppermints and never found one that would actually eat one until I brought some from a store that actually houses them with rocks that have aptasia.

Simple.
I got all this stuff free from some ones tank brake down. What do u think will be the best way removing the aptasia. One aptasia is on a beautiful teal spong and I'd really like to keep the spong.

Don't put it in your tank at all. The sponge and whatever else is not worth an aiptasia problem. You've been warned. Trust me

I've had mixed results killing aptasia anemones with other products and methods, I found AptasiaX to work the best. Put the aptasia rock in a low flow area and apply AptasiaX slowly. Be careful to not suck any water into the syringe as it will solidify and plug it up. It is great when you can get the Aptasia tentacles to grab the syringe, it tends to help keep the aptasia from retracting back into the rock crevice. Try to cover as much of the oral disc of the aptasia as possible. I've had the best success when moving the aptasia rock into a very low flow area. If you don't have any place like that in your tank or sump, you can use a bucket. Place the rock such that the aptasia is facing upright. This will help you get good coverage of AptasiaX over the oral disc without it sliding off and landing on something else you don't want to kill. Usually in a day or two the aptaisa will die and you can easily siphon it out. If there are aptaisas on multiple sides of your rock, then kill what you can from the first rock position. Then repeat the process by repositioning the rock every couple days and apply AptasiaX until they are gone. Best of luck, don't get discouraged, you can beat them.

There was only 2 aptasias that I could find so I hope there rnt any more lurking around. But I have a feeling there are. And this is what I did I used a band say and cut all rock with aiptasia and for the piece with sponge on it I glued that little bastard so there is a glue ball surrounding it. Completely covered in glue now I have it in a bucket with a heater for the next two days so make sure no more spawn off the glued aiptasia. I really hope the sponge lives.
be86c1526adfbd88501bad74b8a813d4.jpg
4be8c57e87a2d643c3b6b2d0a06da826.jpg

I've had mixed results killing aptasia anemones with other products and methods, I found AptasiaX to work the best. Put the aptasia rock in a low flow area and apply AptasiaX slowly. Be careful to not suck any water into the syringe as it will solidify and plug it up. It is great when you can get the Aptasia tentacles to grab the syringe, it tends to help keep the aptasia from retracting back into the rock crevice. Try to cover as much of the oral disc of the aptasia as possible. I've had the best success when moving the aptasia rock into a very low flow area. If you don't have any place like that in your tank or sump, you can use a bucket. Place the rock such that the aptasia is facing upright. This will help you get good coverage of AptasiaX over the oral disc without it sliding off and landing on something else you don't want to kill. Usually in a day or two the aptaisa will die and you can easily siphon it out. If there are aptaisas on multiple sides of your rock, then kill what you can from the first rock position. Then repeat the process by repositioning the rock every couple days and apply AptasiaX until they are gone. Best of luck, don't get discouraged, you can beat them.
This is all great advice and a good system for IF YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH THEM IN YOUR TANK! The best way to not have to deal with them is to not put in rocks/frag plugs from a source that had them in their tank. Just not worth it.

Is aptasia A pest coral because it stings other corals and kills them or is it a past coral because it looks bad in your tank and you can get rid of them??????

Back