Neptune Aquatics

HOA aquarium policy

Thales said:
Screw em. You already purchased the tank. Make sure your insurance covers it and don't tell them anything. :D

I like that idea! I'll just have to move it in at night when the property manager is off site!

That sucks. Both options have it's risks... don't tell them and if they find out, they later make u shut it down after you have it running for a few years... or if you try to take it up with the HOA, they would likely just say sorry... 130g isn't close to the 20, hehe.

That sucks. Don't say anything and good luck sneaking it in (refrigerator box)
You should be grandfathered in since you got it be for the rule. Can you get a receipt that shows the puchase date before the new rule?

New rules came after you moved in and after you've committed to a new tank. "Never saw the memo."

Everytime I go to a HOA meeting, I feel like moving.

I'd keep it under wraps, so long as nobody complains, which is very unlikely so long as you don't flood the unit below you, you should be fine. If it does flood then you'd be liable, but that's the same whether they have that rule or no. Beware of showing your aquarium to neighbors who either have a loud mouth or who may be petty enough to try and 'get you' for whatever reason.

Wow, didnt know HOA were so strict with aquariums. I didnt see a thing on aquariums with my HOA and everyone has pets running around. But we have dumb Sh*t rules as far as having things on the exterior of the unit.

If you're going to go commando with the aquarium then make sure its not something that can be seen when you open the front door.

Personally I would object to the new rules, and if they want to go through with them, tell them to pay the difference of your insurances that you had to increase because they said that's what you had to do, and make them pay you for the cost of the tank. However if you go this way you are letting the cat out of the bag and probably can't go commando.

melly mel said:
Wow, didnt know HOA were so strict with aquariums. I didnt see a thing on aquariums with my HOA and everyone has children running around. But we have dumb Sh*t rules as far as having things on the exterior of the unit.

Fixed!

Thanks for all the great input guys. I think I'll go commando and if someone discovers it, then I'll play dumb and then object to the rules. Unfortunately my windows to my living room face the interior courtyard so people can see in my place. But I have blinds to cover that up which I intended to do anyway to avoid too much sunlight hitting the tank. Actually... I currently have my fish tank in the spare guest room which might be the new fish room with these new rules. Originally I wanted to have the fish tank in the living room since it's easier to view and the noise wouldn't affect any guests that are spending the night in the guest room. But I might have to change that up now. No one can see into the guest room.

tuberider said:
melly mel said:
Wow, didnt know HOA were so strict with aquariums. I didnt see a thing on aquariums with my HOA and everyone has children running around. But we have dumb Sh*t rules as far as having things on the exterior of the unit.

Fixed!

Thanks Jeremy, thats what i meant to say! :D

I wonder if they really know the difference between a 20 gallon and 130 gallon tank :quest: Just tell em it's for any of the following below and it won't have much water in it :D:
  • turtle
  • snake
    spider

Hey Durwin,

I just talked to my property manager and he said the HOA can put any rule actually.
But according to the law, in order to pass a new rule, they have to send a letter to all homeowners telling them they will hold a meeting to discuss the new rule and if you have any objection, you can attend the meeting to voice your opinion.
He said they can pass any rule whether that is legal or not. The only thing if that if they pass something that is not legal, you can go ahead and sue them. I don't know if this the route you want to go though.

Roberto.

Thanks for asking Roberto. Hmmm...so the debate is whether to bring this up now with the risk of not being able to win and setup the tank at all vs. going commando and most likely no one will know I have a tank unless it breaks. And if someone does find out, I can always fight it then.

Yeah HOAs are evil, the early ones actually made rules to prohibit various races from moving in to help keep the property values high, however that was turned over by the Supreme Court for obvious reasons. Many used to (or still do) have rules regarding antennas and satellite dishes too, however the telecommunications act of 1995(6?) makes those allowable now. Its funny the amount of power they have yet various laws get passed which super cedes them, yet they can super cede old laws.. like you OWN your damn property and can do what you want.

There was a thread over at RDO about how one HOA is making a bunch of houses repaint because they decided on a new color scheme!

Bottom line... don't move into a HOA.

To expand on John's solution, make it partially in wall so only 20g can be seen from the front rooms then the other 130 gallons can stick out in the other room :D

Yeah I hate HOA's. Semi-forced into moving in one due to location. But it makes no sense to pay dues and have them tell you what to do with your property. Ugh...

I like the in wall idea!

Just fill that new tank with champagne, hookers and octopuses - Led Zeppelin style.

Party.

See if anyone objects.

p.s. throwing big TVs out of the 10th floor window may help too.

Back