How are you measuring salinity?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Chromis, May 14, 2017.

1. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

Already answered, but I will add that this is the key reason I will never calibrate with RODI again.
    Although my newer refractometer did not have that issue. It matched at both.

2. Chromis

Chromis Supporting Member

So I bought the Milwaukee salinity meter based on the good reviews here... it was easy to calibrate and tested the 1.025 test solution as 1.025. That was a good start.

The hydrometer was reading 1.0255 as usual on my reef, but the Milwaukee said my tank was only at 1.021! This was more consistent with the 2 older hydrometers I was recently given that made me suspect hydrometers aren't very accurate. I'm really mad at myself to think I trusted a $5 hydrometer for years, but also excited to find out how nice my corals will get once I increase the salinity and let them have some trace elements :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coral reefer likes this.
  3. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

Like Kris (@Kmooresf) said, he uses a hydrometer to measure his salinity and has been for years. I tested his water with my refractometer when I picked up som frags from him (thank you by the way). It was pretty much dead on.

4. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

5. yellojello

yellojello Supporting Member

Before buying the Milwaukee, was thinking of getting veegee refractometer.

For Milwaukee, I keep roll of toilet paper and RODI bottle to double rinse between readings.

6. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

Good point. When I see my salinity drifting (for me it's always drifting down) I do this; I just add salt water instead of fresh as it evaporates. I had no idea there was a calculator for it though. Good find @Vhuang168.

7. fishdoctor

fishdoctor Sponsor Staff Member

New hanna digital refractometer.. [​IMG]

Coral reefer likes this.
  8. Chromis

Chromis Supporting Member

I plan to switch 2gal/week of RO topoff water to saltwater. For a 40g tank, that's adding about 5% more salt per week, which should increase salinity about 1ppt per week. So it will take about 3 weeks to get from 1.021 to 1.024. That's probably slow enough to notice any changes in the corals.

9. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

With a rise in salinity, all other parameters will increase in levels too. If you are dosing anything, I would take extra measurements to make sure you don't over dose.

Gablami likes this.