Reef nutrition

How do you acclimate the swap corals from different tanks ?

I know how to do the individual one, but how to acclimate the corals from different tanks?
I hope I don't have to do it one by one, it will take me the whole night....

I don't. I use the water in the tube for a frag dip directly (I use revive). Then rise off with tank water and directly to the tank. ~ 10minutes max from the time the tub opens till in the tank. Never lost a coral (that I can remember).

I thought Povidone dip are Lugol (didn't check the tag:(), I have a whole bottle Lugol at home so I didn't take one.
Can I just use tank water and Lugol to dip the corals and skip the water parameter acclimation?

I meant tub. The container the frag was in :) I've done the same with Povidone. I just happen to be using Revive right now. It smells good :p Just be aware that different dips should be done for different lengths. If you are using povidone, check out:
www.bareefers.org/povidone

I didn't do anything special regarding acclimating. After hanging out at the stores and seeing that corals did fine even when nobody obsessed over acclimation, I got more casual about it.

I just did my frags a couple hours ago. They were sitting in the cooler for a while after the swap because I had other stuff to take care of this afternoon.

Now, I tend not to just pick any old random frag. I'll pick corals that come from reefers that I know. I'll look for corals that have been packed in a decent amount of clear water, and look healthy in the container.

Sometimes I'll temperature acclimate, but pretty much I'm not traveling so far, or taking so long, that the frags are cold when I get home, so I usually don't even do that.

For today's frags, I opened up all the deli containers and mixed the water together in the styrofoam cooler to a depth of about 1.5 inches.

I put all the frags into the cooler, and squirted in enough Povidone to get a color in between "beer" and "tea".

I set a timer for 15 minutes, and turkey basted the frags periodically.

I saw a few asterinas, but no big swarms of scary nasties jumped off from the corals.

I got a container of tank water and rinsed off the frags and then just stuck into my frag tank.

Btw, I didn't pick any acros, so I didn't do an Interceptor dip. That's kind of taking a chance on hitchiker redbugs, but I felt ok with that for these frags.

If I know I'm going to do Interceptor, I'll set up a 5 gallon bucket with old tank water, a powerhead, a 25 watt heater, and some Interceptor before leave for the swap. When I get home, I do a quick dip with Povidone or Revive, then put the frags in the bucket for a 12+ hours Interceptor treatment.

Thanks for details, I don't have Interceptor, can not wait for putting them in the tank.
I have to take the chance with only lugol dip.

Povidone iodine is milder than Lugol's iodine.

Revive is milder than Povidone.

When I used to use Lugol's and/or tincture of iodine, I dosed according to rates recommended by Steve Tyree on his website.

"20 minutes in 1 liter of 100 % captive reef water that has 10 drops of 5 % lugols solution (or 20 drops of the tincture of iodine found at local drug stores which is typically a 2.2 % solution)."

I use Revive (splash) and Flatworm Exit (one whole drop) on each tub. For any acros, I use Interceptor (very small pinch). For montis I try to dip a minute or two longer and very carefully inspect for nudis. (I'm paranoid about nudis since I got hit with them a year and a half ago.)

Jason, I bookmark your post as future reference. I have dipped all of those in the same lugol soluation. and put them in the tank. Hopefully, the corals I picked come from the cautious reefers.
The best way is only pick the corals from the well known reefer. One unknown zoa I picked today from someone outside of BAR, the condition is very poor, I am thinking to toss it away, or free to some beginner.

I float the containers for 20 minutes or so, remove them, open, and add a splash of revive, wait 15 minutes then give them a light blast with a turkey baster and see what flies off. If noting flies off I give them a quick rinse in tank water and in they go!

Back