High Tide Aquatics

How long does it take a rainbow monti to look like a rainbow?

I have frag that was sold to me as a rainbow monti that has grown from a 1/2 " piece to 1.5-2"s. It still look Blue base with Red polyps. When is it normal to start seeing different color polyps. Or was I get sold a superman monti?

Depends, lots of corals have been coming in labeled as the "brand name" because they kinda sorta look like those that can command the big bucks.

however if memory serves, the central polyps should be green and the new growth is red/orange/yellow on a rainbow, or at least "the original"

It could be that the reason the polyps are red are because your frag came from the edge of the coral it was fragged from. However if it's puddled down... eh I dunno.

I will say however that no corals hold the colors that they are acclaimed for under any condition, not even ones from Steve Tyree himself.

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=2748.msg28910#msg28910 date=1198983199]

I will say however that no corals hold the colors that they are acclaimed for under any condition, not even ones from Steve Tyree himself.

[/quote]

NO corals hold their color that they are acclaimed for under any condition? Your smoking something mighty strong :p

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=2748.msg29022#msg29022 date=1199122912]
[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=2748.msg28910#msg28910 date=1198983199]

[/quote]

NO corals hold their color that they are acclaimed for under any condition? Your smoking something mighty strong :p
[/quote]
You might be mis-reading what I'm saying.

Maybe I should have said EVERY condition instead of ANY. Although that would be equally confusing.

Basically, pop a coral Tyree LE Whahoozits, has been in captivity for 18 years or what not, toss it under an iwasaki 6500k bulb, and another piece under a Radium 20000k bulb, do you honestly think both corals will retain the same color?
Corals can brown out, corals can fluoresce more or less given the right conditions.

Back