Reef nutrition

How many called in sick or played hooky from school.

I was at the midnight release the last xpac, but since my work hours are quite long these past months, raiding has been backburnered. ..so I didn't bother preordering etc. I might pick it up after work. I know many who took the next two days of work off.

Probably if you got in a preorder or something. The pickings are probably slim at the moment though.

I actually installed an old school Blizzard game a couple of days ago (Starcraft 2 Brood War :D ). I also tried installing Warcraft 2, but it doesn't like 64 bit systems so I couldn't even try to relive my first year as a frosh. WoW never really interested me; I'm waiting for D3 instead.

The online games in general never interested me, my first experience with them was way back in the day the ol' online (Pre"internet" BBS days) text adventure games, and it was fun to a degree (mostly because you got to attack the North Pole and kill santa claus :D) but they were really time consuming. I got away from them before they ruined my life though. My next online forte was with Diablo, and while it was fun when you found the right people to play with, jesus the cheaters out there annoyed me. After that I stopped, I saw others play online and all the attitudes and kiddies that seem to populate the world (I can't hardly read have the crap they type too!). The nail in the coffin though for me is the whole pay to play business model that apparently has made Blizzard such a bank of money that it most probably will be the norm. I can't see paying full price for a game, but not being able to play it unless you pay a monthly fee on top of it.

So yeah, I'm not picking on all the WoW nerds (like they did in Southpark :D) but I am bitter about the whole way the landscape has evolved.... plus I'm getting to the point where I don't have time to get into games that much unless its super fast in and out.

It's too bad that they made this game On-line only. I hate the thought of paying someone just to play on line. Anyone still play starcraft on-line - is that still free. I tried a couple of days ago and couldn't log in into battlenet. Any news on that?

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=5181.msg63878#msg63878 date=1226598959] The nail in the coffin though for me is the whole pay to play business model that apparently has made Blizzard such a bank of money that it most probably will be the norm. I can't see paying full price for a game, but not being able to play it unless you pay a monthly fee on top of it.
[/quote]

The nail in the coffin though for me is the whole pay to grow business model that apparently has made LFSs such a bank of money that it most probably will be the norm. I can't see paying full price for a coral, but not being able to keep it alive it unless you pay for the suppliments/water/light etc.

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=5181.msg63892#msg63892 date=1226600660]

The nail in the coffin though for me is the whole pay to grow business model that apparently has made LFSs such a bank of money that it most probably will be the norm. I can't see paying full price for a coral, but not being able to keep it alive it unless you pay for the suppliments/water/light etc.

[/quote]
Yeah that's totally the same thing ;)

It is. Wow isn't static like say..starcraft (including battlenet). It is a "living" world, continually changing, evolving, and expanding.

My point was I don't think it's terribly "fair" (for lack of a better term) that you got to fork over $40-50 to buy the game, then $10 (or whatever it costs) per month to play it. Yeah you still pay for electricity to play the games but it's a different type of economy there. Now if I had to pay a monthly "rental" fee to a LFS to enjoy more corals then yeah I wouldn't have corals either.

I'm not harping on people who do play it, or even the fact there is a monthly fee, but if you're going to charge "rent" give the game away for free or something man.

You're making the grand assumption/implication that the monthly fee is to explicitly pay for the game that comes in the box.

Is it terribly fair for the tech support, graphic artists, developers, IT, etc etc to work for free? Think of the montly fee as paying for gas, oil changes, tune ups, new tires, tricked out stereo etc to your car. When you bought your car, those didn't come with it. You can't drive your car for long without those things.

I don't think it's an assumption at all that the monthly fee goes towards "game related stuff" whether it's salaries of employees or server costs to whomever, the difference in all your examples is that one company is getting all the money from these fees. Man game developers have publicly admired the amount of "business" Blizzard is doing with this model.

But whatever we can agree to disagree, I just won't pay a monthly fee to play *A* game.

Back