got ethical husbandry?

How to get rid of Kenya Tree

Title of the thread says it all, really :)
I have a bunch of Kenya Tree that I am looking to eradicate, and taking the rock out is not really an option.
I don't want to try and "pull it off," for fear of the other rocks on top of it taking a spill.
I am thinking of using an X-acto blade and just hacking away, one stalk at a time. If there is still a portion of the stalk left, will the entire stalk grow back? I am thinking of using sharp scissors as well ...
any thoughts are appreciated!

Well I like my Kenya Trees, but they grow very fast. I cut them at the lowest point I can and scrape the rest off when I get too many.

Thanks Matthew -pretty sure I am going to end up using the sharpest scissors I can find lying around, and going to town on this stalks. My main concern is whether or not the stalks will regrow if some of it is left behind after my cut session. I can't really scrub this rock because 1.) it is a small tank as it is, and 2.) I fear my rocks taking a tumble.

Heh, was gonna say Anthony....

Pretty much ripping it has the best chance. They don't seem to attach too much to the substrate, and yes, they regrow quite well.

I use sharp scissors but keeps growing again; problem is when they drop a frag and it goes into the rocks I don't mind having KT, you can post it free here, CAS accepts all sorts of corals and in worst case CL or RC.
Taking the rock out and scraping off the base is the best way to eradicate it.

@Mitch -yeah, I actually didn't know they didn't attach very strongly to the substrate, so it was cake taking them off :)

@Mario -If they grow back, I will just rip it off again :) I made a point to ensure I ripped the stalks off from the bottom most portion; hopefully this deters growth. But this is a resilient coral, so we'll see! Also, this is in my BTA tank, so the space previously inhabited by Kenya Tree may soon be occupied by my BTA's, which would stave off any new growth :D

Everywhere I tried removing a kenya tree, they grew back. It is almost impossible to remove every last bit without removing the rock and scrubbing. Has anyone tried spreading super glue over the little bit of remaining stalk? Any other ideas?

I actually killed one i wanted by dropping it Tree first. Never came back, maybe you can hit the stump with a hammer lol.

Back