Kessil

How to remove acrylic dividers

Anyone has any idea on how to remove acrylic divider or acrylic shelve on the acrylic tank/sump? I am thinking to remove two shelves that I glue to my sump before but I have don't have any idea beside cutting it. My dilemma is the two shelves on the first section of running sump.

Unless you did a total crap glue up, cutting it is really the only option. A product like weld-on does a solvent weld so it melts the pieces together so if you try to brute force it you very well may crack what you don't want.

Even cutting it is risky unless you have the right tools and methods.
Using something like a sawzall can cause it to shatter rather easily, possibly breaking the tank as well.

Use a oscillating multi tool if you have one. Just mask up the surrounding areas with painters tape to minimize the scratches from the blade.

Attachments

• B2594714-14FD-4775-B484-72B2496F4086.jpeg
    B2594714-14FD-4775-B484-72B2496F4086.jpeg
    38 KB · Views: 115
Use a oscillating multi tool if you have one. Just mask up the surrounding areas with painters tape to minimize the scratches from the blade.
Good tool. I don't mind to scratch up the first section, it the drain section in the sump so I am not worry much about the scratches. This tool may destroy the sump.

Good tool. I don't mind to scratch up the first section, it the drain section in the sump so I am not worry much about the scratches. This tool may destroy the sump.
It will not destroy it. Use the knife blade. It will cut it like butter. I have one you can borrow if your close or in sf.

This is my custom 70gal acrylic sump that I used for over 5 years on two different tank already.

I'm guessing you're converting it to make one section larger. If so, I suggest get an acrylic tank and convert that into a sump. Then sell your current custom nice looking sump or keep it for next upgrade. Don't want to destroy anything that's already nice and custom.

Cutting won't destroy the sump, but it'll be fugly.

Back