High Tide Aquatics

How to set Jebao MLW wave pump to below the minimum 30% speed?

I purchased a Jebao MLW-30 for my 40 gallon breeder without knowing the minimum speed on the pump is 30% (aprox 1000GPH). This is still WAY too much flow and I'm out of the return period. It uses a 3 prong connector from the pump controller to the wave maker. Is there anyway to attach a resistor or something to the data wire to slow the pump down?

Or am I SOL and I just need to buy the correct size wave pump?

You could put a piece of foam around the power head intake (the way people make their power heads anemone proof). IME this reduces flow ~30% or so

Or, get a 3D printed anemone guard for a cleaner look - will also reduce flow

You could put a piece of foam around the power head intake (the way people make their power heads anemone proof). IME this reduces flow ~30% or so

Or, get a 3D printed anemone guard for a cleaner look - will also reduce flow
I'm currently running a 3d printed nem guard which does reduce the flow somewhat. I plan to 3d print some sort of diffuser for this powerhead before giving up and buying the right size.

It depends on if the controller is simply varying voltage or doing pwm modulation to get the power restriction. Given the cost of the jaebo, I bet it is resistive, and soldering a resistor in series would do it.

Simpler in my mind is the nem guard/sponge guard to restrict intake flow area.

I would probably trade you my lower flow low profile jaebo if you want too.

It depends on if the controller is simply varying voltage or doing pwm modulation to get the power restriction. Given the cost of the jaebo, I bet it is resistive, and soldering a resistor in series would do it.

Simpler in my mind is the nem guard/sponge guard to restrict intake flow area.

I would probably trade you my lower flow low profile jaebo if you want too.
I was worried it might be PWM and complicate things. Is there an easy way to check if its VV or PWM?

Update: 3400GPH in a reef tank is wildly different than 3400GPH in a planted tank. My sand is somewhat blowing around on 100% power but it seems to be fine on 30%.

Back