Cali Kid Corals

How would you stock a Reefer 170?

I’m getting ready to set up a reefer 170 to house my zoas, other softies and maybe some LPS. help Me stock my fish and inverts. The tank isn’t running yet, but I’m just planning ahead. His tank will have a lid, and I love wrasses...hint hint

This will be a higher nutrient tank, so I don’t mind overstocking it. It will have a massive skimmer and be fed a ton.

I don’t want any of the same fish I have in my reefer 450. So, no tangs, royal gramma, clowns, red firefish, neon dottyback, 6 line wrasse, no anthias, no damsels (unless it’s a princess), and obviously not a marine beta.

Here is all I have on my list so far

10-20 trochus snails
harelquin shrimp (will be fed by my reefer 450’s constant production of astrena stars)
purple firefish

I’m thinking a few cool wrasses that can get along.

I have an adorable pair of 4 stripe damsels that would love something more glamorous than my sump.
2DA8422C-3243-4454-A7A4-9A30C3710B6E.jpeg

I like Twospot hogfish. They are very active and fun to watch.
Great colorful fish but it bullied the hell out of all my other wrasses, could never add another wrasse to the tank after he went in. Also routinely ended up in my overflow box, liked to swim through the holes.

Id probably just go with a midas blenny, a flasher wrasse of some kind, maybe a possum/pink streak wrasse, and if you ended up going with sand I would get a pearly jawfish

+1 on the midas blenny. Beautiful fish with a big personality. The only caveat is that they are known to jump so I'd recommend a lid of some sorts.

+1 on the midas blenny. Beautiful fish with a big personality. The only caveat is that they are known to jump so I'd recommend a lid of some sorts.
I have a lid already. Yeah I’m going to go with a Midas Benny, great idea

I do like the two spot hogfish idea. I’ve never seen them in stores locally though. Maybe I’ve just missed them.

Back