Jestersix

Hydros X3 Controller review

Darkxerox

Facilities, Events, LFS Partnership
BOD
So I'm only a week in after getting a great deal from @Azurc14 . Keep in mind that when it comes to coding, I really can't figure it out! So I wanted a controller that was pretty much plug and play and did the coding for you in the background.

@SepToob had a good writeup about his system and we seem to be having the same hardware setups so far!

I was able to install the system, sensors, WiFi power strips, and connect everything under two hours. One thing I learned from the instructions is that water blocks WiFi signals! So you need a line of sight to your router for each wireless device.

Used the club's calibration thermometer to set the offset on the probe. Did a three point calibration on the pH probe, and synced all my devices. This is what you see:

Screenshot_20230528-224320.png

Screenshot_20230528-224328.png

It's nice being able to control each socket on the WiFi power strips (which are only $40 each!).

Lots of safety features (e.g. if I turn off my return during water change mode, it will turn back on in an hour so I don't forget).

pH trends are pretty amusing as you can tell when I'm out of town the past couple days:

Screenshot_20230528-210311~2.png

The audible and visual alarms are pretty great, along with push notifications and emails, and I would like to add a leak sensor and wifi feeder in the future. Potentially a wave engine if I go with the gyre route. The connectors that are color coded and pin/notch specific make it impossible to mess up too and are super secure.

Overall pretty happy with the simplicity! Tagging @Hella_Salty650 with the review.

Still really liking my setup also!

I have since added an XP8 and WavEngine to the X4, and am running them all together as a “collective.” I got the XP8 to replace the wifi strips - mine crapped out on me, the heater wore out the relay. Just an FYI for something to keep an eye on, I would avoid anything super critical on the wifi strip. The XP8 has been rock solid for me though and has more outlets to boot!

I also wanted to plug the Hydros ATO - it’s awesome. The pump is super quiet and the optical sensor has been far more reliable and predictable than the Tunze Osmolater (apparently the gold standard?!). The ATO also saves another outlet and wires over a separate ATO like the osmolator since the pump plugs directly into the hydros controller along with the sensor.

I tried the Osmolator on my 2nd tank during the reboot because of all the great reviews and honestly found it ridiculously bad compared to the hydros ATO. And I am generally a big Tunze fan.

Still really liking my setup also!

I have since added an XP8 and WavEngine to the X4, and am running them all together as a “collective.” I got the XP8 to replace the wifi strips - mine crapped out on me, the heater wore out the relay. Just an FYI for something to keep an eye on, I would avoid anything super critical on the wifi strip. The XP8 has been rock solid for me though and has more outlets to boot!

I also wanted to plug the Hydros ATO - it’s awesome. The pump is super quiet and the optical sensor has been far more reliable and predictable than the Tunze Osmolater (apparently the gold standard?!). The ATO also saves another outlet and wires over a separate ATO like the osmolator since the pump plugs directly into the hydros controller along with the sensor.

I tried the Osmolator on my 2nd tank during the reboot because of all the great reviews and honestly found it ridiculously bad compared to the hydros ATO. And I am generally a big Tunze fan.
Don’t wanna hijack, but what didn’t you like about the tunze ato?

Don’t wanna hijack, but what didn’t you like about the tunze ato?

1. The pump is super noisy - like I can hear it across the house. The Hydros pump is dead silent.
2. The automatic high water level alarm drives me crazy. It goes off any time you turn the return off and the sump level rises. Or...see below
3. It constantly overfills, I believe because the sensor requires constant cleaning. I only used the damn thing for 3 months, but it would consistently overfill and I'd hear the alarm, causing me to rush to the tank...including in the middle of the night.
4. What is the point of the controller? The lights can hardly be seen from any angle, not that they matter, unless your sump is remote and you can't see the water level yourself? Even then, if it's low - it should fill, and if it's high the obnoxious alarm goes off...so the bulky plastic controller with all of the wires in and out just seems like unnecessary complication.
5. No siphon break included? I had to drill a hole in the hose. I'm sure there are more clever or eloquent solutions to this problem, but why should I have to do this? The Hydros one includes a $0.50 siphon break to install in-line that works flawlessly.

Lastly, and most importantly - 6. Mine failed on me after about just 3 months of use in the backup tank. It just started beeping loudly, intermittently, and no longer functions. Roger from Tunze suggested the pump was bad, so I guess that needs replacing already...

Overall it just seems like a really crummy product from a company that otherwise puts out really well thought-out equipment. Maybe I got a lemon...but that doesn't account for some of the other poor design choices. Maybe it's so popular because there just isn't anything better and not many people are using Hydros yet? Jake Adams' rants against non-gravity ATOs make a little more sense to me after my experience with the Osmolator.

Did you know you can adjust the height of the low level sensor so it’s farther apart from the high level sensor? Lots of people don’t realize that and it leads to high level triggering way too often.
All the other complaints you have I understand, but not necessarily a problem for a lot of users. Thanks for elaborating!
1. The pump is super noisy - like I can hear it across the house. The Hydros pump is dead silent.
2. The automatic high water level alarm drives me crazy. It goes off any time you turn the return off and the sump level rises. Or...see below
3. It constantly overfills, I believe because the sensor requires constant cleaning. I only used the damn thing for 3 months, but it would consistently overfill and I'd hear the alarm, causing me to rush to the tank...including in the middle of the night.
4. What is the point of the controller? The lights can hardly be seen from any angle, not that they matter, unless your sump is remote and you can't see the water level yourself? Even then, if it's low - it should fill, and if it's high the obnoxious alarm goes off...so the bulky plastic controller with all of the wires in and out just seems like unnecessary complication.
5. No siphon break included? I had to drill a hole in the hose. I'm sure there are more clever or eloquent solutions to this problem, but why should I have to do this? The Hydros one includes a $0.50 siphon break to install in-line that works flawlessly.

Lastly, and most importantly - 6. Mine failed on me after about just 3 months of use in the backup tank. It just started beeping loudly, intermittently, and no longer functions. Roger from Tunze suggested the pump was bad, so I guess that needs replacing already...

Overall it just seems like a really crummy product from a company that otherwise puts out really well thought-out equipment. Maybe I got a lemon...but that doesn't account for some of the other poor design choices. Maybe it's so popular because there just isn't anything better and not many people are using Hydros yet? Jake Adams' rants against non-gravity ATOs make a little more sense to me after my experience with the Osmolator.

Did you know you can adjust the height of the low level sensor so it’s farther apart from the high level sensor? Lots of people don’t realize that and it leads to high level triggering way too often.
All the other complaints you have I understand, but not necessarily a problem for a lot of users. Thanks for elaborating!
Yeah - I made that adjustment, it definitely helped some.

The Hydros version is just such a better product in every way - and it’s cheaper! The downside being you have to be on the Hydros ecosystem to use it.

Sounds like there might be a real contender for Apex.

Note: Strongly suggest not putting anything critical on Wifi.
It defaults to previous state if the wifi signal is lost. So given that I have things I generally want switched off for feeding/water changes or night time (fuge light) it's pretty convenient. Plus it lets me know if the strip is dead, which my normal strips wouldn't be able to tell me.

Good to know that this may be a good contender. Right now I like the apex for two main reasons -when linked to the COR pump I can see the temp and hopefully get an advanced notice if it starts to get too hot.
I also have a couple of wav’s with an octo pulse controlled.

The second is the trident.
For the rest a lot of it is now being ported to Red Sea -lights, rollermat, ATO, and dosing. If my protein skimmer goes kaput -I may also get one of their new protein skimmers as well.

Ever get a new tank or one day that apex goes blotto-I will consider the hydros. I did see it last year and was impressed.

Back