got ethical husbandry?

I hated my refractometer until...

houser

Past President
My refractometer always gave me problems soI hated it. When calibrating I ended up maxing the adjustment screw to get it to match the BAR standard. Last night I needed to test my Q tank as I'm in the early stages of transferring up from hypo and testing daily. My refractometer was cold so I decided I'd warm it up a little by tucking it into the front of my hoodie right on my belly. Sat down to watch sportscenter and forgot about it. Got up later, started walking around my house and bam - refractometer slips out, bounces a few times, and slides across the kitchen. I even kicked it trying to break the fall with my foot.
Oops.
Then it occurred to me if might actually help.
Took a quick reading on the main tank and it had shifted a few points. Grabbed the BAR standard, and now the standard is no longer at the end of the adjustment screw range! Took a reading on the main tank - bam 1.026. Read the Q - 1.015 - that's where it was after last salinity adjustment. Even read some DI and got 1.0.
I don't think I hate my refractometer anymore.

I have seen a few posts now about "BAR standards".
I did some searching on the forums, but nothing jumped out. I am fairly new here, so must have missed something.
Where does one go to get access to those?

rygh said:
I have seen a few posts now about "BAR standards".
I did some searching on the forums, but nothing jumped out. I am fairly new here, so must have missed something.
Where does one go to get access to those?
The standards when availible are brought to the general meetings every other month. I am not sure if we have any more at this time, if not in most cases you can bring in your refractometer or other test kits/water sample and if asked in advance someone can bring their standard solutions for you to test your equipment with.

My BAR standard was off. If you see ANY salt creep it'll be off.

I have 2 BAR standards (spring swapmeet/September meeting) and a 3rd party and they all check out. I did note that when I shake mine really hard the bottles can leak. I don't know why that is. I keep them in a very small mylar bag when I'm not using them to counteract that problem.

Tumbleweed said:
The standards when availible are brought to the general meetings every other month. I am not sure if we have any more at this time, [...]

I have some boxed up still on a shelf in my garage if needed.

FYI, I was not really asking for some. I was more just curious.
I generally calibrate with distilled water.

Actually, I often accidentally double check.
I like to test the water from the LFS when I get a fish/coral. (Various parameters)
The difference tells me a bit about how the acclimation might go.
But if something was way off, it would raise red flags, so it is a way of testing my measurements.

distilled water doesn't work with most refracts though, which is exactly why BAR offers a free standard :)

You like details, so read away: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-12/rhf/index.php

Back