Neptune Aquatics

I think its too big...

Srt4eric

Vice President
BOD
I really dont know much about protein skimmers but I think this might be a little large for my 15 gallon sump. I know nothing about this one, it was given to me a while back. What do you all think? Is it worth anything? Anyone want to trade for something smaller?
20200901_142441.jpg
20200901_142459.jpg
20200901_142507.jpg

Says up to 265 gallon tank... mines 40 with a 15 sump.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200901-144418_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20200901-144418_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 157
That looks like a Tunze DOC 9410 skimmer, which if you believe their literature is good for tanks up to 265 gallons but that's typically for a light bioload, heavy bioload probably half that.

And yeah I'd say that's a bit too big for your system.

Since you’ve got it maybe just fill it up and try it out, but I think your better off with an underpowered skimmer instead of an overpowered one because if it’s too large it might not skim anything because it can’t produce a thick enough foam

Yes/no, I'm not sure the exact reasoning they put those socks on their skimmers, but I think it's to reduce any air bubbles from getting into the tank. Although it may also double as a filter sock which is why their relatively small sized skimmers have a relatively large tank capacity

Thanks!! You guys are great. I'm pretty much addicted to Bay Area Reefers... I'm checking this thing more times a day than I used to check my Tinder back when I was single!!!
I scared my girlfriend when I showed her I can unlock my phone, open chrome, open a new tab, and open bar without looking. It’s almost as bad as the coral addiction

Can anyone recommend a decent skimmer for my tank?
I have a simplicity dc 120 for sale in BST here. I had it on a 34gal display with 10gal sump, but based on their stats it is also technically oversized for you, but it did skim fine for my tank.

Back