Jestersix

Icecap co2 scrubber

fishy408

Supporting Member
Does anyone use one of these? If so, how do you like it? What size co2 scrubber did you get to match your tank? I have a 100g tank and deciding between the 3 sizes.

I haven't used this one specifically but I am familiar with using others.

Mine was about the equivalent of the 0.5kg container. 170g tank with too many fish.

A fresh batch would boost my Ph from a daytime high of 8.21 to about 8.35 within 24 hours. It would peak around 8.3 for 3 or 4 days then drift back down after about a week total.

Then I limited how long my Skimmer ran right a media change. I also had the scrubber pulling air out of the Skimmer cup, added a second chamber and started changing them on offset weeks and that's when things balanced out and I actually saw benefits from raising the pH.

I eventually stopped using it after getting a remote refugium. A 5gal bucket of media was $100. It lasted about 9 months.

This is going to become another maintenance task.

I haven't used this one specifically but I am familiar with using others.

Mine was about the equivalent of the 0.5kg container. 170g tank with too many fish.

A fresh batch would boost my Ph from a daytime high of 8.21 to about 8.35 within 24 hours. It would peak around 8.3 for 3 or 4 days then drift back down after about a week total.

Then I limited how long my Skimmer ran right a media change. I also had the scrubber pulling air out of the Skimmer cup, added a second chamber and started changing them on offset weeks and that's when things balanced out and I actually saw benefits from raising the pH.

I eventually stopped using it after getting a remote refugium. A 5gal bucket of media was $100. It lasted about 9 months.

This is going to become another maintenance task.

Thanks for the insight. Every reef environment is a little different, but 8.21 to 8.35 doesn't seem to be that much.

I have the Large model. Bought it from saltwateraquarium.com. I just installed it a couple days ago. Still trying to dial it in. Not sure if I hooked it up the right way since my PH is still only around 7.88-8.02. I also got the FishofHex custom lid attachment so I wouldn’t have to drill a hole in my lid.
A9EE82C1-2102-4928-80BF-339E8235F5E7.jpeg

I have the Large model. Bought it from saltwateraquarium.com. I just installed it a couple days ago. Still trying to dial it in. Not sure if I hooked it up the right way since my PH is still only around 7.88-8.02. I also got the FishofHex custom lid attachment so I wouldn’t have to drill a hole in my lid.
View attachment 37678

Is this a recirculation setup? are you using another reactor between the skimmer and the co2 scrubber? Is the additional reactor used to capture moisture?
Also curious to see how your PH is affected after a few days. From what I have read, should the PH increase be almost instant?

Last edited:
Is this a recirculation setup? are you using another reactor between the skimmer and the co2 scrubber? Is the additional reactor used to capture moisture?
Also curious to see how your PH is affected after a few days. From what I have read, should the PH increase be almost instant?
Yes recirculating setup.
Yes using another AquaMaxx reactor to capture moisture.
I’ve read some conflicting information saying to add some water to the bottom of the CO2 scrubber and some say don’t. I added water to the bottom so I think that may be the reason I’m not seeing the increase in PH. I’m going to suck out the water in the CO2 scrubber and see if that makes a difference.

Back