High Tide Aquatics

Ich on blue tang?

Hey guys, I upgraded my fishes tank and now I’m noticing white dots on my blue tang which is probably ich or velvet… I’m so confused because I’ve had him for almost a year now and he’s never showed sign of ich and I moved him into a new tank with new sand and rock so I’m not sure where it could’ve came from unless he already had it without it showing. Tank is a 112 Gal system and the only fish are 2 clownfish and a blue tang. No new fish had been added yet only CUC.

Attachments

• IMG_3559.jpeg
    IMG_3559.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_3557.jpeg
    IMG_3557.jpeg
    62.5 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_3551.jpeg
    IMG_3551.jpeg
    79.3 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_3550.jpeg
    IMG_3550.jpeg
    134.7 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_3549.jpeg
    IMG_3549.jpeg
    126.8 KB · Views: 96
He keeps constantly rubbing against the rocks. I’m leaning towards velvet because of the many white dots, I was reading ich normally they’re bigger dots spread out that you can count. I’m going to put him in my QT tank and start copper treatment but from what I’ve read velvet has high fatality rates :( Im just confused where this came from he’s been healthy for months and months with no signs of illness. Clownfish currently have no symptoms. My QT tank is a 14Gal cube so I’m going to hold off on adding them with the blue tang until I get a larger QT setup to move the tang to and I’ll use the 14 cube for the clownfish

I’m going to say you stressed him out. New everything is not good for a fish with a thin mucus coat. I believe that ich is always present. It’s just controlled and there’s different strains. When given the chance it will take hold on your fish.
I don’t know if it’s ich or velvet tho. But I would treat it like velvet. I don’t know how good your QT kung fu is. If you’re not great at it. You should go to humble.fish and start reading and reading. Or I wonder if you can pay Kenny to treat your fish. Just thought. His QT is up to par. And ya. Time is not your friend.

I’m going to say you stressed him out. New everything is not good for a fish with a thin mucus coat. I believe that ich is always present. It’s just controlled and there’s different strains. When given the chance it will take hold on your fish.
I don’t know if it’s ich or velvet tho. But I would treat it like velvet. I don’t know how good your QT kung fu is. If you’re not great at it. You should go to humble.fish and start reading and reading. Or I wonder if you can pay Kenny to treat your fish. Just thought. His QT is up to par. And ya. Time is not your friend.
I’m trying to read up before I do anything. I have Coppersafe and a Hanna copper test kit on hand from previous QT but I’ve never had a lot of live stock so I it’s only a process I’ve done twice before. I’ve had these fish for a while now and I haven’t added any new fish since then. From what I’m reading I should do a freshwater dip which I’m a little nervous to do since I haven’t before. Sorry I’m a little new here, who’s Kenny?

Also I dosed the tank with Turbo Start 900 and parameters have been good so I thought I was in the clear :( I didn’t want to bring my old sand over because I didn’t like it and I also heard it could cause some spikes. And my live rock was rock I got from other reefers but I wanted to go with Caribsea life rock with this tank for aesthetic purposes so I didn’t transfer it

Kenny is under water ninja. He owns high tide aquatics in Oakland. He’s the only one around here who does humble fish qt. Methods. I don’t know if he will do it for you or not. But he’s very knowledgeable.

Back