Neptune Aquatics

ID Encrusting Coral (pimpled monti :) )

Ok, I got this rock with these zoa's and some encrusting coral on it (I was told it was probably a monti). Well to make a long story short it's colored up nicely to a coppery color. What you can't tell in the picture is that the polyps look like they are the same color as the crust and I can't even tell if the white specs are part of the polyps or the crust. I could use a fat macro lens to find out but I don't have one.... or a DSLR :) but if someone is around and wants to help take some pics lmk. Let me know what you think it is.

I tried to get a picture of just the monti but I couldn't. Notice the nodules/bumps, I'm not sure if they grew that way or if they are from the rock underneath.

milligrn-copperdbtc3.jpg

[quote author=Raddogz link=topic=2974.msg31908#msg31908 date=1202331162]
Kinda looks like a monti - maybe even porites
[/quote]

Thanks Eileen. Ya know it does kind of look like this.
Porites-lichen.jpg

Or this one from reeffarmers
limitededition_poritesrus.jpg

So do you think I'd get any response if I started a DBTC called "LE Levi's Rusty Porites" :D Ok, the LE part might be a stretch but I am curious to see if this would look better or worse under more intense lighting. From the little I've ready this morning it sounds like they are better growers than most monti's so I doubt any serious reefers would to manage it in their tank but you never know, it might color up nice?

Would be cool to have some DBTC Porites. We don't have that one yet :D

Guldens, Dijon, French's, any flavor would be yummy :D

Let's do it Eileen. I have some scraps from crudely pruning mine back that I threw on a plug that I'll offer up once I can tell they made it and maybe I'll offer up some more after the swap.

Back