Kessil

if i wanted to start a???

6-10 gallon desk tank for some frogspawn torch and a pair of lil baby clowns what would i need besides

heater
rock
sand
corals
fish
and a lil power head(i guess)

if i planned on weekly water change what do recomend

eldiablosrt8 said:
will a tank this small need a filter

A 6-10 gallon tank IMO should have a filter, but I would personally go with a HOB filter. You'll need some water circulation to disperse heat and oxygen. If you don't already know about them, they make cheap electric heating pads that you can stick in the tank. :)

I ran tank at work like this a long time ago, 2002ish:

nanoclean.jpg

5Gallon Jebo tank with a 32W CSL light, small powerhead, and not much else.

I did not run any mechanical filtration, however, I always felt that the fairly frequent anthelia pruning and the weekly caulerpa removal removed nutrients. It was a stable happy little tank and the only reason i took it down was the company went bankrupt and I didn't want two tanks at home.

Might as well post the other pic, I snapped the pair of pics on a cleaning day to post in some discussion on RC about these small tanks and the maintenence of them. This is the before pic on the same day as the one above, showing the algae growth over about a 3 week period:

nanodirty.jpg

As you can see, the caulerpa grew like crazy, and required constant pruning, but I always felt that it's nutrient uptake was a large factor in how well the tank did overall.

Some equipment ideas:

Use one of those small stick on thermometers to save space on a tiny tank like this, but keep a backup glass one handy to double check it on maintenence days.

They make MUCh smaller and nicer nano heaters now, I always hated how huge that Ebo Jager was in there. 50W witht he same diameter glass tube as the big ones.

I don't recommend using the factory lighting in a Jebo tank at all, if you find one for sale anywhere.

If you can get a tank with a partition like the JBJ/Oceanic nanos it will look a lot better. Tap plastics will precut stuff for you if you DIY it.

If you are going to plan to leave it on weekends like I did, a closed top tank is much preferred, open top tanks would need daily top off. I had a juice bottle of kalk and dumped it straight in about a 1/4 cup at a time whenever the water level dropped on the tank pictured. The kalk never adversely affected it that I could tell.

The light timer recommendation is a good one, i can't run a tank without one my life is way too chaotic.

One other addition edited in, with a tank this small near 100% water changes are what I eventually ended up with. I'd say I changed about 80% of the water each time, and went as long as a month between changes a few times once it had been running for a few months.

I used to have a 10g office tank. Was my fav tank, zoa garden with a 6line wrasse.
I had a small powerhead there and 50/50 96w lights. Still have the lights btw, fit standard 10g tank.

zepplock said:
I used to have a 10g office tank. Was my fav tank, zoa garden with a 6line wrasse.
I had a small powerhead there and 50/50 96w lights. Still have the lights btw, fit standard 10g tank.
I had a frag tank set up like that. I really liked the quad 96 on a 10g.

Back