Cali Kid Corals

Injury or disease or ?

I'm seeing an odd discoloration on my mimic tang -- wondering if anyone can recognize what's up with him. He seems to be maybe a little bit lower energy than usual but is still eating. It's only showing up on the one side.

And the right profile, business as usual:

Looks like an infection to me. Is it growing in size?

How long have you had it and how long ago did you start to notice this?

From the pictures the mimic looks a tad skinny. Are you feeding any raw macro algae?

Rats, whatever it was, it was fast acting. I didn't get a chance to get a good look at him yesterday morning because I left for work before the lights came on, but he didn't make it through the day.

A real bummer. I'd had him for about 2 months and he was a real champ at eradicating some algae growth. Gresham, I wasn't supplementing with other macro algae because he seemed to be eating pretty much anything I put in there at regular feeding times in addition to his regular grazing.

This has been a discouraging year for me with my fish. I have a coral beauty and a pair of ocellaris that have been going strong in there for about 2.5 years now but anyone else I put in the tank seems unable to get past the 3 month mark.

The CB has been a model citizen as far as I can tell. My female clown can be a little ornery but she doesn't bother anyone as long as they steer clear of her hangout.

doliver said:
Rats, whatever it was, it was fast acting. I didn't get a chance to get a good look at him yesterday morning because I left for work before the lights came on, but he didn't make it through the day.

A real bummer. I'd had him for about 2 months and he was a real champ at eradicating some algae growth. Gresham, I wasn't supplementing with other macro algae because he seemed to be eating pretty much anything I put in there at regular feeding times in addition to his regular grazing.

This has been a discouraging year for me with my fish. I have a coral beauty and a pair of ocellaris that have been going strong in there for about 2.5 years now but anyone else I put in the tank seems unable to get past the 3 month mark.

It looks rather thin from your pictures, especially in the face. They should be a lot plumper if properly fed.

What are you feeding?

I highly doubt that is wounds from another fish. They don't tend to peck at the middle of a fish like that but rather hit fins and such first. If the fish sat there long enough for another to attack it there, there is a real problem with the fish. Just like fish that allow themselves to be sucked up against a pump or overflow.

Most tangs/herbivores I see are under fed and look malnourished compared to what they should look like.

As an aside - is there anybody here who's had long-term (>12-18mos) success with mimic tangs? Any secret sauce to share?

Disclaimer: I've always sucked at fishkeeping, I have no idea why. HOWEVER, usually if a species is considered hardy, I'll eventually find a specimen that does well for me. Mimic tangs are my fav's and I've never ever had one make it to the 1yr mark.

IMO you should start a new thread as that is a whole nother ball of wax. If you start it, I'll reply, but not in this thread.

GreshamH said:
It looks rather thin from your pictures, especially in the face. They should be a lot plumper if properly fed.

What are you feeding?

Most tangs/herbivores I see are under fed and look malnourished compared to what they should look like.

I rotate through mysis, Formula One pellets, and Cyclopeeze -- all of which he seemed interested in so I assumed that between those and algae grazing he was getting enough to eat.

I'd get more veggies in his diet. The amount they get from grazing in our tanks is far from what they do in the wild not to mention far less biodiversity making a less diverse nutritional profile. PM me your full shipping address w/ daytime phone & email. I'll send you some Fuzzy's to try out.

Oh shoot, I have just the thing I want to try out with healing your fish (Ultracolor). PLEASE email/PM me. Either option should work and I'll send you both.

Oops, sorry if I wasn't clear but my Mimic didn't recover from the infection. Whatever it was, it hit him fast and hard and he was gone the next day. Thanks very much for your generosity though. I really appreciate your advice and your offers to help.

Back