got ethical husbandry?

Is starphire worth it?

How worth it is it to add Starphire glass? If you're going to buy a tank, and it would cost you an additional 375 to add starphire glass to a 120 gallon tank - does it make sense?

I feel like it is shopping for a TV at best buy. The super dooper HD Sony makes the normal samsung look like a POS because they are right next to one another. However, once you get the samsung home, it looks great. Ya know?

The larger the tank the thicker the glass the more of a difference you will notice with a starphire panel. Thinner glass on a smaller tank, meh.

Totally worth it IMHO. Wouldn't have another glass tank without it. Speaking as someone who had regular glass tanks for about 25 years and finallly has a starfire tank.

I have a smaller frag tank w/ starfire and a large tank w/ regular glass. The starfire looks better, but not by much. To really enjoy starfire you need to keep the glass algae free. If the glass was thicker than 1/2" I'd do it, at 1/2" I'm iffy but if had the $$$ would probably do it there also.

My frag tank is four sided starphire and the difference is simply "clear" When I first set it up I compared with regular thin glass against the white wall and went "holy cow! ..."
I believe is also a bit more delicate when it comes to scratches right?

What Jon said, just do it man.. I mean whats money in this hobby? There are so many other areas you'll go broke :D Close off your fun spending account (don't buy corals, fish etc) for a month or two to justify it, you can always by corals/fish later, changing the front to starphire can't really be done (easily or cheaply) later.

That said, and it was already mentioned, make sure you'll be diligent in keeping it clean, low-Fe glass is only useful if there's nothing caked on it :D

xcaret said:
My frag tank is four sided starphire and the difference is simply "clear" When I first set it up I compared with regular thin glass against the white wall and went "holy cow! ..."
I believe is also a bit more delicate when it comes to scratches right?

Yeah it's slightly easier the scratch but SOOOO worth it :)

Back