Cali Kid Corals

I've been thinking...

I just got my cube tank set-up, and have a couple fish in there now.
My original plans were to get LPS and SPS, and mostly mostly softies.
Now I am considering just a tank packed full of mushrooms -has anyone ever done this? Can you post a picture?
Do Centropyge sp. pick at mushrooms and sps? Or mainly lps?

One of my tanks is 1/2 mushrooms. I like them alot. Easy and colorful, lots of different kinds, and you don't need a magnifying glass to see them. ;)

I bought a rock of 7, which in about 3 months turned into a tank of about 25... they multiply, fall off the rock, relocate, and start another colony... :)

[quote author=A_Lee link=topic=6166.msg78091#msg78091 date=1233633319]
Can you post a picture of your tank Lyn? Sounds awesome!

[/quote]

After I clean it and rearrange a few things. :D

Do you get Reef Hobbyist Magazine? It is free. Your local reef store might have it. One of their articles "Junkitu's Mushroom House" was inspirational (Third Quarter 2008/Vol. 2). The tank is not all mushroms, but lots of them, none-the-less.

I found his thread: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=96169&hl=junkitu&st=0

You can see the incredible progress he has made over time. :)

It is a 33g so, filling it with rics and such will be expensive, haha
I am thinking a couple sps frags up top, with everything below mushrooms, and maybe a couple LPS.
Anyone have any recommendations for a red colored fish?

Small fairy or flasher wrasse perhaps, or firefish goby?

Don't know if you should chance a flame angel with corals, but they are the reddest small fish that comes to mind at the moment. :)

I thought flame angel as well, but if it goes into my tank, it will impossible to get him out. Well, not impossible, but extremely difficult -like tear down all my rocks. I rather not take the chance ;)
Who carries flasher wrasses in SF?

[quote author=Euphyllia link=topic=6166.msg78284#msg78284 date=1233711527]
Try cardinals. Those are small and cute... and fun(ish) to watch!
[/quote]

Cardinals start out small when you get them from the LFS but they get 3"-3 1/2" and thick. Still... a good fish to put in a nano as long as your fish population is low.

[quote author=Elite link=topic=6166.msg78118#msg78118 date=1233635295]
If it's a nano tank, go with ricordea and yuma. It cost more but much nicer IMO..
[/quote]

...and I agree 100%

Back