got ethical husbandry?

Jawfish won't eat

I bought a blue spot jawfish the other day from Derek and it ate in the store but I've not been to get it to eat at home. I've tried new life spectrum pellets, formula 1, cyclopeeze, and PE mysis. Anything small he ignores and anything larger he grabs and spits away from his burrow.

He's currently in a QT tank under hyposalinity with no other fish. He has sand and rubble piled in a corner and has built a nice little home.

What other food or feeding methods would you guys suggest I try?

I think Derek used Rod's food. I'm going to get some of that as soon as I can. I'll also pick up some garlic and arcti-pods and try those.

BSJ and Hypo don't mix. Unless you saw ich with your own eyes your currently doing more harm then good.

You sure it was ich and not fungal? They're not huge ich fish but fungal and bacterial infections are rather common with them. They also are highly easy to stress to death.

Perhaps the ich is secondary and stress related, I've found them to be pretty bulletproof when it comes to parasites. You may want to try EM if it continues to stress out and not eat, just MO.

I go to OT all the time they use rod's food and arcti pods everytime I've seen them feed. well at least you know they feed their fish good food. good luck. I miss my blue spot.

tuberider said:
Perhaps the ich is secondary and stress related, I've found them to be pretty bulletproof when it comes to parasites. You may want to try EM if it continues to stress out and not eat, just MO.

EM?

The stores near me that carry the suggested products were closed today. I was able to get some live adult brine shrimp, though, and he's eating those by the dozen. I know they aren't very nutritious but I'm just glad he's eating something.

yup on EM:)

Good to know Erin. If he doesn;t take AP, try adding AP when you add life brine shrimp. Maybe he just needs a few bites to know that the dead stuff tastes good too :p

Back