got ethical husbandry?

Jepoy's 45 gallon beginner reef tank

I used arm sweatband, cheap and effective, but I’d get white just so there are no color dyes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I used arm sweatband, cheap and effective, but I’d get white just so there are no color dyes

Great idea! I've also read online of people using stockings, but sweatbands would look much better I guess.

I think stocking would actually allows more flow, I had to clean out the armband twice a day just to clean out the gulk

Quick Monday morning updates on the tank:

1. Saw my first little spot of purple coralline on the glass [emoji38]
2. Also saw my first bubble algae [emoji22]
3. Making progress with my battle against GHA.. just manual removal for now
4. RBTA seems to have found a nice spot in the rockwork where he can retreat into a hole at night and come out and be visible during the day.

Happy Monday y'all!

Last edited:
Yesterday I discovered that my mandarin actually ate brine shrimp when it floats right in front of him. I was so excited, but I wanted to feed him something more nutritional so I picked up some PE mysis today. I fed the whole tank with the mysis but I made sure to spray some right in front of the mandarin. He immediately sucked in a pretty big piece of shrimp. This got me a little worried because he proceeded to swim slowly to the substrate and he stopped pecking at rocks like he normally would. My mandarin was almost motionless! After a couple of minutes, he slowly started regurgitating the piece of shrimp he just snarfed. After that he ignored mysis even if it floated right by his mouth. [emoji22] I'm hoping he was just traumatized by almost chocking on the big shrimp and that he would try eating them again tomorrow.

Bubble algae is terrible. Most of my life was pulling out bubble algae to be honest. That killed it for me. My goal with my current tank is no bubble algae. Emerald crabs will eat a few, but won't keep them in check (in my experience) and will most likely eat all sorts of other things like prized corals.

PE Mysis is huge. I think Hikari is better. I actually need to go pickup some hikari soon.

Bubble algae is terrible. Most of my life was pulling out bubble algae to be honest. That killed it for me. My goal with my current tank is no bubble algae. Emerald crabs will eat a few, but won't keep them in check (in my experience) and will most likely eat all sorts of other things like prized corals.

PE Mysis is huge. I think Hikari is better. I actually need to go pickup some hikari soon.

Yeah, not looking forward to dealing with bubble algae.. but from watching a few videos about it, since it can come to your tank as a spore, it's one of those things you really can't avoid. Good luck, hope you're much more successful at keeping it out of your tank than I was.

I'll try the hikari this weekend. It'll be a big win if I can get my mandarin to accept some form of frozen mysis.

Yeah, not looking forward to dealing with bubble algae.. but from watching a few videos about it, since it can come to your tank as a spore, it's one of those things you really can't avoid. Good luck, hope you're much more successful at keeping it out of your tank than I was.

I'll try the hikari this weekend. It'll be a big win if I can get my mandarin to accept some form of frozen mysis.

It's true. I'm going to scrub every snail shell I get, and remove frags from plugs before dipping and adding to my display. But at the end of the day... I'll probably get some.

When pulling bubble algae, make sure you pull the roots too, not just the bubble part.

What's your weapon of choice for removing them? I saw on a video someone suctioning them out with stiff tubing.

b2d63c4f1f7baed7e7e532049c3afa50.jpg

Is it just me or does it look like my RBTA is giving me a hundred little middle fingers?

This sucks! Just found my mandarin dead on the floor [emoji22]. I had no idea mandarins are jumpers. What sucks was that my mandarin was fat and happy.. she loves lobster eggs and I’m guessing she had plenty of pods as well. I checked my parameters to see if anything stressed her but all is in check. R.I.P. Sansa. [emoji31]

I'm sorry to hear that. All Gobies can be jumpers. Some species are more prone to it, but it's possible with any Goby if startled. I believe that going up is a normal defense response for them. When you consider most dwell on the substrate or close to the rock up is the natural way to sprint if something's after you. That's okay in a big ocean -- not so okay in a small tank.

Back