got ethical husbandry?

Joe's Juice no longer allowed in CA

Well According to the owner of All About Fish he got an email from the manufacture of Joe's Juice, and was told that the sell of Joe's Juice in CA is no longer legal and to pull the product from his shelf. According to him Joe's Juice has been labeled by the state of California as a Pesticide and in order for them to continue to sell it the company must purchase the license to do so and the license being in the tens of millions, it is not cost effective to do so. So they decided to no longer sell the product in the state of CA. I tried to find info on the CA pesticide web site but could not. Just letting everyone know what I heard and to see if anyone else has heard this or if any of the sponsors have been informed of this.

It's calcium hydroxide (kalk), water, and salt, how the hell is that a "pesticide"... do they need to label peanut butter as a pesticide too because if you put it on a trap it attracts mice?

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=4981.msg60962#msg60962 date=1225067397]
It's calcium hydroxide (kalk), water, and salt
[/quote]

Link? As far as I can tell, that's what is suspected, but not proven.

[quote author=Thales link=topic=4981.msg60963#msg60963 date=1225067594]
[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=4981.msg60962#msg60962 date=1225067397]
It's calcium hydroxide (kalk), water, and salt
[/quote]

Link? As far as I can tell, that's what is suspected, but not proven.

[/quote]
No link, much like you, I've simply taken what has been mentioned as true. I think... Frank mentioned it during his talk since he said the ingredients were no longer secret. (patent?)

I was informed by my supplier that the product can no longer be supplied by Joice Juice but I wasn't informed that it must be pulled off the shelf. I think there's still some legality issue to be worked out but I did got informed that they're trying to get CA EPA approval with their product registration. Hopefully, this is just temp becuase it seems to be a pretty good product.

Yeah he said however they were not going to try for approval because of the cost involved. But we will see. I never used the product. I just mixed Kalwasser with water to make a paste to kill my aptasia.

Ok Rich here ya go.

US Patent Office
A method of killing Aiptasia and Majana anemones in aquariums comprises filling a dispenser with an anemone killing mixture, comprising purified water, and effective amounts of calcium hydroxide and non-iodized salt, placing a tip of the filled dispenser near a mouth of an anemone and dispensing a small amount of the mixture such that it is consumed by the anemone. An anemone killing mixture comprises effective amounts of calcium hydroxide and non-iodized salt dissolved into and mixed in boiling purified water.

Downside of having a patent, is that whatever methods you used are publicly available.

That's why you need to patent the theory and not the product. That way everyone making a product that uses the theory has to pay you :)

Levi: you can't patent theories (theoretically), it needs to be a working idea/product. However when you do patent you try to make things as open ended as possible, and not too specific, just looking at the abstract above "effective amounts of..." so what the patent holds is basically anything that works will be an effective amount.

Granted I am not a patent attorney, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night... :D

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=4981.msg60999#msg60999 date=1225120574]
Granted I am not a patent attorney, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night... :D

[/quote]
LOL

There are ways to get around the law such as relabeling the product, I don't see it as being a big obstacle, relabel it new and improved and take away the "pesticide" moniker and they should be cool. I'll have to call my pops and find out what he knows, he's passed tons of things through state and federal EPA.

Bah, for everyone who paid $10-$15 for pickling lime, salt and water...it's no loss if JJ is not sold here anymore.

I hear Aiptasia-X is "da bomb" though. I might pick some up. It's probably JJ with glue or something.

V

Oh as for the peanut butter comment, I think that because of the way the product is targeted (kills a particular animal), it must be catagorized as a pesticide. So if you sold peanut butter that you said would kill aiptasia, you'd probably have to get a license too.

V

I called Ultimate Aquarium in SM to ask for Aiptasia-X and they didn't have any...but they DID have Joe's Juice ... for $17 a bottle! The high price is because they can't get it anymore!

Luckily, we still have access to pickling lime, salt, and water... ;)
(Though admittedly, the syringes were awesome)

V

Back