Our mission

Joe's Juice no longer allowed in CA

[quote author=alve link=topic=4981.msg61764#msg61764 date=1225490775]
Aquatic Gallery in Milpitas has lots of Aiptasia-X (and Joe's Juice). I believe they charged $12.95 for Aiptasia-X.
[/quote]

I was there last week, they guy told me it was $15. But still cheaper than ordering online, unless you have other things to order (due to shipping). Plus it's a nice LFS, so I'll probably get some from them.

I asked at Ultimate Aquarium because they are down the road from my house.

V

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=4981.msg61784#msg61784 date=1225494988]
.but they DID have Joe's Juice ... for $17 a bottle! The high price is because they can't get it anymore!

IMO this is a MAJOR dick move.

[/quote]Not a dick move, it's ALWAYS been their price. Nice try, it's a dick move to call people dicks that you haven't a clue about.

Well excuse me, never bought the stuff, and was kind of going off the part I quoted where it says "the high price is because they can't get it anymore" ... and a quick look at online prices confirms it's a bit pricy, and yes I do know about markup etc.

fine... "if what I quoted is true since I don't have the luxury to go around to all the different LFS in the greater bay area" ... then it's a dick move... sheesh touchy people tonight.

Not touchy, just someone who has worked with a decent store for a while and doesn't tolerate people spreading misinformation on a public forum.

When I was told the price, I said to the guy "Wow! That's expensive" and HE said "Yeah, it's because we can't get it anymore"... so it was straight from the LFS guy, I wasn't just guessing at motive.

Aaaanyway. Let's just all say that you can't get the stuff here anymore. Supply and demand is fair. If you can't get it here anymore, it's not that "dickish" to raise the price on it, since it's basically the last of it. Every other company does this too (look at OPEC, and Toyota Priuses when they came out!)

Anyway, back on topic, on the one hand, it sucks that they can't sell it anymore, on the other hand...it's kalkwasser and salty water.

V

Salt can mean many things and ones that could be considered a pesticide or even a medication ;) Don't be fooled into thinking it was just salt, kalk and water ;)

Economy must be really bad, eh? Seems like the stress is getting to people...lol. Am I being a moron? You guys need a beer! and a new frag...haha.

While I have not had the opportunity to visit Ultimate Aquarium, I have heard that the store has made many positive improvements. I'll have to make it over there one of these days to see for myself.

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=4981.msg61871#msg61871 date=1225518651]
Salt can mean many things and ones that could be considered a pesticide or even a medication ;) Don't be fooled into thinking it was just salt, kalk and water ;)
[/quote]

Although it could very well be salt, kalk and water ;) Anyone with access to an ICP or AAF could do an elemental analysis to find out!! (makes me wish I was still in grad school with access to teaching labs. hint hint norm :p)

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=4981.msg61940#msg61940 date=1225579216]
[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=4981.msg61871#msg61871 date=1225518651]
[/quote]

Anyone with access to an ICP or AAF could do an elemental analysis to find out!! (makes me wish I was still in grad school with access to teaching labs.
[/quote]

Hence my post ;)

Take Red Slime removers....they list a salt, erythromycin salt is what the ICP/AAF came back as ;)

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=4981.msg62032#msg62032 date=1225644134]
Take Red Slime removers....they list a salt, erythromycin salt is what the ICP/AAF came back as ;)
[/quote]

If erythromycin salt, ICP would only return Na
AAF would only return C and Na

:p

ICP/AAF are for elemental analysis. For organic salts, you'd want to run something entirely different.
...the geekiness flowith.

but for JJ, if salt is table salt, youd get Na/Cl on both and if sea salt, you'd get an elemental distribution representative of seasalt (ignoring Ca since it is saturated from Kalk)

PS, I found your reply :
http://images.cafepress.com/image/12556561_400x400.jpg

Not to beat a dead horse here, but I know the guys at Ultimate pretty well and I spoke with one of the owners this morning. Joe's Juice is not allowed to sell to stores directly in California, so what they did was go around them and buy it from another source at a higher price, thus resulting in them now selling it at $17, up from the previous $12.99. He just wanted to make sure he has some for his customers until Joe's Juice resolves this problem with California.

I couldn't take the aiptasia in my tanks anymore. At work, I used Joe's Juice, at home I mixed Kalkwasser with tank water. Both work sometimes. I still see "treated" aiptasia in both tanks. Maybe I missed some in my JJ treated tank, but they are still there today (after the weekend, I treated the office tank on Friday). I've had hit and miss results with JJ. And that being the case, I'd rather just use 2 cents worth of pickling lime than 17 bucks worth of JJ.

Oh yeah, I found that if you mix the kalk/pickling lime with tank water and let the vial reach tank temperatures (and also feed the tank first!) then the aiptasia really don't shrink way as you approach with the syringe and it's actually easy to hit the mouths with kalk paste!

V

Back