Cali Kid Corals

just picked up a jbj 24gallon nano cube, suggestions?

hey all, you guys always been such a great help so i thought i should ask for some recommendations. just bought a 24 gallon nano cube, want some opinions in what type of fish to stock in.. thanks for all the help!

24 gallons kid on limits your choices Quite a bit. Lots depends on what you are planning on actually having in the tank as far as types of corals etc. Any thoughts on what you are planning to keep?

Tangs in my opinion are or will be way to big for a tank like that. Angels are going to be to large. Pygmy angels would probably be ok but again it way depends on if you are thinking of doing fish only or adding some corals. I would shoot for some nice wrasses and/or some blennies or clown fish if you are thinking of doing any types of corals or zoas.

thank everyone.. might do the firefish and the onxy percs but what are red lip blennies and rainfordi gobies? i dont think i ever seen those. also considering a sixlined wrasse and a coral beauty.

6 lines are in my opinion a useful fish but they can get mean. If you plan on adding any other wrasses I would suggest addint them at the same time or before the six line. My won't let any other type of wrasse in my tank.

Coral beauties like other pygmy angels are about 50/50 as to being non/reef safe i.e. coral/zoa munchers.

If you would eventually consider a dottyback I would advise not to. I had one for several years and that fish was so much trouble. He attacked everything that was added, no matter how big. He ripped a 6-line wrasse into pieces, attacked and scared the hell out of two firefish for a day and they both ended up on the floor the next morning, got into some big fights with a yellow tang that was 5 times its size... No matter what I added, he stressed the hell out of those new fish.
I spent hours trying to catch that guy and never managed. If he would have had fingers I am sure he would have flipped me off every time I approached the tank.
When I finally moved everything over to my 156g I got him out and he went straight to the store. My wife and daughter hated that fish so much they wanted to flush him through the toilet ;D

well i wanted a sixlined because i liked the way they look but what do you mean by useful? ( sorry im still pretty new to all this ) and ill make sure i dont pick up a dottyback thanks for the heads up.

A useful fish in my opinion is one that helps your reef vs. just looks pretty,

6-lines (and other reef-safe wrasses) are good for pest control in my opinion. I wouldn't have a reef tank personally without some sort of wrasse in it but that is just me.

Back