1. The 2014 BAR Members Only Frag Swap is today!

Become a member in order to participate in today's swap!
  2. Hey Bay Area Reefers!

Please excuse the mess as we're currently sorting out some technical issues with our new home page as it has thrown off our website URLs a bit.

Thank you for your patience!

Your Webmin

Juvenile or Female?

Discussion in 'Fish and Invertebrates' started by goldielocke76, Jan 1, 2013.

1. goldielocke76

goldielocke76 Supporting Member

Hey guys,

I got this wrasse from Aqua Exotic the other day (awesome place to get fish btw) and they told me it was a female. However, I'm hoping it turns male, so I was looking online to find some answers and there isn't very much there. For now, I am dubbing it a "she" and she's quite small, only about 2 inches. I wanted to post up a few pictures or so and see what you guys thought. Here she is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bondolo

bondolo Supporting Member

Very nice looking wrasse. What species is it?

3. Kensington Reefer

Kensington Reefer Supporting Member

That's one sexy wrasse!
    Looks like a melanurus.

4. goldielocke76

goldielocke76 Supporting Member

Yup, she's a melanarus or Hoeven's wrasse. I'm really sorry, I was so focused on getting the damn pictures to show up I totally forgot to put the species.

Mike, I tried and tried to find a green grass wrasse and eventually gave up. All I can ever find are the tan ones. I talked to Tony about the flatworm problem I have (I didn't want to use Flatworm exit, although I have heard good things about it.) and he recommended the Melanarus or Leopard for flatworm problems. Leopards are gorgeous, but not quite what I was looking for. I wanted to add more of the "cool" colors to my tank since I have so many "warms." I've wanted a Melanarus or Grass wrasse for a while, but have held off because I wanted the mandarins more. So far after putting "her" in there, I haven't seen a flat worm and she's been fat and happy. I really wanted a male though, but it was recommended to me to get the smallest wrasse I could find, and being about two inches long, she was it. So far, she fits right in. You'd never know she was a tank newbie. :) Mandarins are still doing well also, but my one little female is still on the real skinny side. The other female and male look awesome, so I am worried that she is getting harrassed, but I see her do nothing but eat. Only time will tell I guess. Sorry for the digression.

5. BAYMAC

BAYMAC Guest

Female and excellent choice. They are my number 1 go to AEFW wrasse!!

FWIW melanurus is not capitalized, its a species.

Halichoeres malanurus