Reef nutrition

Juvenile or Female?

goldielocke76

Supporting Member
Hey guys,

I got this wrasse from Aqua Exotic the other day (awesome place to get fish btw) and they told me it was a female. However, I'm hoping it turns male, so I was looking online to find some answers and there isn't very much there. For now, I am dubbing it a "she" and she's quite small, only about 2 inches. I wanted to post up a few pictures or so and see what you guys thought. Here she is:

IMG_1401_zpsf92f1587.jpg

IMG_1400_zps1592e4e9.jpg

Yup, she's a melanarus or Hoeven's wrasse. I'm really sorry, I was so focused on getting the damn pictures to show up I totally forgot to put the species.

Mike, I tried and tried to find a green grass wrasse and eventually gave up. All I can ever find are the tan ones. I talked to Tony about the flatworm problem I have (I didn't want to use Flatworm exit, although I have heard good things about it.) and he recommended the Melanarus or Leopard for flatworm problems. Leopards are gorgeous, but not quite what I was looking for. I wanted to add more of the "cool" colors to my tank since I have so many "warms." I've wanted a Melanarus or Grass wrasse for a while, but have held off because I wanted the mandarins more. So far after putting "her" in there, I haven't seen a flat worm and she's been fat and happy. I really wanted a male though, but it was recommended to me to get the smallest wrasse I could find, and being about two inches long, she was it. So far, she fits right in. You'd never know she was a tank newbie. :) Mandarins are still doing well also, but my one little female is still on the real skinny side. The other female and male look awesome, so I am worried that she is getting harrassed, but I see her do nothing but eat. Only time will tell I guess. Sorry for the digression.

Female and excellent choice. They are my number 1 go to AEFW wrasse!!

FWIW melanurus is not capitalized, its a species.

Halichoeres malanurus

Back