Reef nutrition

Kill-a-watt readings

In light of powering theme, I bought a kill-a-watt & did few readings:

1) 48" reef brite all blue - 40W : I wish it run at 48W = 2W per LED (think it can do) but 40W is not bad

2) Tunze return pump 1073.04 - 31W , running on 50 inch head pressure, spec is 790GPH at 0 @ 42W

3) i-tech skimmer on Tunze 9420.04 needle wheel pump - 21W , advertised number is 28 SCFH @ 23 watts in 7 ½"

Cool, its sometimes quite an eye opening experience to see how much energy something really uses.

1: Even at 48w you're not getting 2w per LED, some of that is in the driver converting AC to DC with a "constant" current.

2: That one is odd, but hey I wouldn't argue against lower power :D

3: Skimmer pumps can change power input depending upon what type of impeller is in it.

sfsuphysics said:
Cool, its sometimes quite an eye opening experience to see how much energy something really uses.

1: Even at 48w you're not getting 2w per LED, some of that is in the driver converting AC to DC with a "constant" current.
Yeah right, there is internal loss. But I am happy to see the actual number, cause on the box of power supply it says 30W, dealers keep telling it is on 30W. I always feel the strip is running pretty cool (of course mine is in open air) it is kind of waste under-driving 3W LED that much. I guess it is pretty safe at 2W.

sfsuphysics said:
2: That one is odd, but hey I wouldn't argue against lower power :D

3: Skimmer pumps can change power input depending upon what type of impeller is in it.

2. I always think the opposite way till I see those flow charts. Guess it has to do with pump design but I remember seeing same pattern in few other pumps.

3, Yes, plus I believe with same impeller, how open you turn the gate will affect the power draw as well, cause that changes the pressure of the pump push against.

T1073.020-descr.jpg

Back