Jestersix

Kona Manta ray dive

screebo said:
GreshamH said:
Yah but deep blue I speak about is 12,000 feet deep :) IF you ever find vis like that let me know :D

Oh and since it was fall and the winds were kicking, it was just shy of 48f on the surface IIRC
Well, believe it or not....... :)......I have done some diving right up close to the Monterey Canyon off of Monastery Beach and saw the sandy bottom fade out as I got closer to the drop off. You're right........visibility is usually pretty poor in Monterey and "large objects" come into view pretty quickly out of the murk. I'm pretty much done with diving in CA and it's average 53 deg F water despite the interesting oceanic ecosystem. I would, however, be willing to pilot a research submersible out of Monterey if it had a heater. :| Speaking of Monterey, how come that deep camera in the trench with web access never works??

I've done over 1K dives at Monster Berry Beach! I DM'd classes there every weekend for 4 years or so :) I've never seen the actual drop off (is slopes down, it's not a sheer wall) and I've hit 180' there numerous times. 53f is norm, and the surface temp usually... it's colder deeper down, especially if the winds are a blowing.

My Monster Berry beach vis has ranged from 0' to nearly 50'.

My dive with the basking sharks was on the SC side of the trench. You're lucky to get 10' vis on a good day :(

screebo said:
GreshamH said:
I don't mind a few hundred feet, but open water deep blue just gets me every time. I've done it A LOT and I must say every time I go I get goose bumps...
Knowing how many undiscovered species still live in the ocean and just how large some of the species get does make me think about how easy it is to hide a creature the size of a brontosaurus in big water. They say we taste just like chicken except to Great Whites who don't like us much :O

It's the fat content, or rather the lack of, that GW's don't like as far as eating humans goes from what I have read.

Welcome back! Looks like a great time was had. I love diving with Mantas. I felt a communion, of sorts, diving with them off the Santa Rosa Wall in Cozumel. I'll never will forget it: One was staring back at our group, for several minutes, as we encircled it in bubbles. Then, I made the mistake of formatting my card while trying to display the photos back to Susan. I guess I need to go back.

It's real interesting how many of us have enjoyed diving but seldom talked much about it. Seems like we have an awful lot in common. Like me and my *hermano Gresham diving the deep, cold and murky water off "Monster Berry" Beach. The better I get to know all of our BAR members, the more I find to like. Truly! Now, Let's give ourselves a big round of applause and a couple "Hip hip hurrays". BAR is a GREAT organization!

* Guess I'm like a kinda evil step brother........ ;)

My sister still talks about a lake dive in WA where the water was crystal clear and endlessly deep. She claimed (while in Fiji?!)that it was the coolest dive ever. She raved about being unable to tell which way was up without bubbles, and seeing blue in every direction. I told her I didn't get it.

I had a cuttlefish give me a 360degree inspection once, I think that was my best moment. He stayed a couple feet away and tried to figure out what I was. They are the coolest things, too bad my camera was fogged up that dive.

Doesn't get much clear then glacial water. Best dive ever but slightly cold to say the least

50904063.jpg

50904001.jpg

50904061-1.jpg

Oh I meant to say nice stories and pics in my last post. My phone condenses out all but the most self centered comments for me.

Cool glacier water shots!

what a great timing! I am heading to Kona in a few days - had been thinking about doing the manta ray snorkelling trip (no diving cert here :-/). Now that i see the video, i guess i'm going! :)

vivi said:
what a great timing! I am heading to Kona in a few days - had been thinking about doing the manta ray snorkelling trip (no diving cert here :-/). Now that i see the video, i guess i'm going! :)

You will absolutely love it!
The snorkelers were inches from the manta rays and you can see all the way to the bottom about 35'.

Another must do snorkel is a place called "Two Step" in Honaunau Bay.
Get there early.
Fantastic!!!!!

vivi said:
Wish we could be there. Bet you look stunning in a wet suit. heheheh :)

Back