Cali Kid Corals

LED Light...Coming Soon!

robert4025

Neptune Aquatics
LFS Owner
Hi Guys,

I am super excited about this so I just want to share it with you guys.!

Here's a sneak peak of the LED flood light we will be carrying very soon. We currently have one being tested on the refugium area of our new coral holding setup for the last 2 months and so far the different species of macro algae that we had in there are showing fantastic growth! The color could use a little bit of an improvement but great progress have been made so we'll have another sample batch coming shortly which will be in the 25K range. No PAR measurement have been made but many of our customers agreed to for a 40W fixture, it looks like it's producing 250W of light using MH! People always says the proof is in the pictures so here they are....

IMG_0250.jpg

This is a 40W single array - we can carry this in the 20W-100W range!

IMG_0254.jpg

Heat sink built-in - we've been running this fixture 24/7 for weeks and the heat sink is still cool to the touch!

IMG_0245.jpg

And it's water and humidity proof!

IMG_0242-1.jpg

This is what a 15K spectrum currently look like. Visually, it's actually an equivalent of a 10K MH halide.

This is what the 25K spectrum will look like.....
DSC_4476.jpg

DSC_4482.jpg

And for color comparision, this is what the same color balls in the above two pics looks like under normal fluorescent light...
DSC_4474.jpg

Isn't that cool or what?

Robert

LEDs are cool toys! One thing to be aware of, is that in all my experience with reading on LEDs, the large format LEDs (like the one you show) are not nearly as efficient as the small ones. I'd guestimate that they are about 1/2 as efficient (~60-70 lumens per watt). Some may do better though. It would be cool though, if this guy was different :)

ALso, finned heatsinks run passively (no fan) rely on convention cooling. This means it needs the fins vertical. See if you can put your hand comfortably on the heatsink after the light has been on for 1hr.

Not trying to be a killjoy. Just wanting to pass on some 411 :)

And the 411 is very much appreciated! Yeah...I am pretty skeptical about the fixture too when I first got it but dang, all that changed after I fired it up. The fin was super cool to the touch. I placed the fixture next to my 175W/LumenMax setup and seems to be twice the intensity. Heck, I can probably put my tongue to it and still won't get burnt.

I did read up on the efficiency factor a while back as well. But, I tell you what though, after seeing my PG&E bills for the last few months, I don't even care if the LED are only 50% efficient. For a $400-$500 light, even if it last just 3 years, it will be more than paying for itself in term of bulb replacements and energy saving.

Bill...Thanks for the offer! But I just placed an order for an Apogee PAR meter. Once I get it, I'll try to run some comparision between that and the MH...maybe...if I am not too busy fragging!

OUR NEW FIXTURES ARE IN! AND THEY ARE FREAKING AWESOME. THE COLORS ARE UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Stay tuned...pics going up tomorrow!

No...same ones above but in all black and a bit higher power (50W...the above unit are 40W) and new ~20K colors.

I got the new 460nm T8 led tubes in as well since your last visit, Gresh. But, I am more excited about the 50W fixtures.

Rob

I'll try to stop by, I have two of the Reef Brite 48" "blue" strips. They're pretty darn nice. I also have Reef Brites 250w E-Ballast and some of their 14K SE 14KK. Doing my part to show you the latest :lol:

I'd love to see the 20KK version. I'll bring my PAR meter as well.

GreshamH said:
I'll try to stop by, I have two of the Reef Brite 48" "blue" strips. They're pretty darn nice. I also have Reef Brites 250w E-Ballast and some of their 14K SE 14KK. Doing my part to show you the latest :lol:

I'd love to see the 20KK version. I'll bring my PAR meter as well.

Is the Reef Brite 48" "Blue" strips, Actinics? If so, how do they compare to VHOs?

http://reefbuilders.com/2009/12/18/reef-brite-actinic-led-striplights-blueing-up-some-deep-reef-tanks/

http://reefbuilders.com/2010/01/04/reefbrite-actinic-led-striplights-lighting-up-50-square-feet-of-reef/

But let's not talk about this on Roberts thread. Please start a new one not in his Sponsor forum in you're truly interested :)

The camera really doesn't pick up the real colors we want to really show but it should give you a rough idea on the rendition. We'll try to find someone that can take more accurate pictures of the colors and will update this thread as soon as we get them. Anyway, here are some quick shots that Cerissa and I was able to snap tonight...

IMG_2719.jpg

IMG_2724.jpg

IMG_2733.jpg

IMG_2742.jpg

IMG_2766.jpg

IMG_2780.jpg

We have two units but one is out for evaluation/data gathering. We'll post PAR finding on it soon. Stay tuned....

I was there around a week ago, with PAR meter in hand, and in Cerissa's Nano tank (shown above) I was getting about 190 at the bottom of the tank. Pretty good if you ask me and is similar to the measurements I get at the bottom of my tank which is a little deeper with 250W MH. To my eyes it looks similar to a 20K bulb and the colors pop.

Cerissa- when are you going to permanently mount one over your tank for an LED display tank? Your arm won't keep getting sore showing it to customers :D

Back