Kessil

Leemar Starphire 290

You weren't supposed to watch the whole video! :)
It was disappointing to see after all the time to 'introduce' them to each other, the new guy got beat up! I wonder if the egg crate interferes with them seeing each other? Could it break up their shape or pattern so they don't really understand it's another fish???
How about EC with one clear acrylic side? Just a thought, perhaps a warped one! :)

Nice pics of both tanks. The DT is looking real good. It will be a real stunner when the lighting issues are resolved.

When I paired my Maroons, the female was in temporary housing in a 20G long. I used an acrylic Breeder Box and put the male in it and dropped him next to her nem and let them acclimate to one another a couple days. Fed the little guy through the slots of the box. When I released him, she bit a chunk out of his tail, and that was the end of it. She chased him a couple times but he just did the "submission dance" and all was OK. Funny thing now, he is much more inclined to bite me than she is! Both are pretty mellow as far as Maroons go - but then there are seven RBTAs in the tank! The rest of the fish just dodge 'em...

You also have the advantage of lots of room for them to defuse aggression. Good Luck!

bondolo said:
The frag tank needs more frags! (I've got some I'm willing to offer).

Thanks Mike, that is very cool of you to offer. I am actually keeping it kind of bare because I have a lot of coral in questionable places as far as lighting goes. I have been moving more and more over to the frag tank because I just don't have enough light yet. Maybe in the future we can do some swaps. I hope to be albe to participate in the DBTC at some point.

@ Dave, thanks man. That Vlamingi is growing like crazy. He is such a funny fish........he likes to slide his body on my arm like a puppy dog when I'm in the tank. He also likes to yank out my arm hair. LOL! I really like how social it is, but fear he is gonna outgrow this tank. I got him when my tank design was closer to 400 gallons and now it's only 290. I will have to see, but at the rate it is growing now I might have to donate to the academy or something. :(

@ John (Jestersix) thanks for the input. I really think I might give it a try........kind of feel bad that I never thought of it before, but didn't think it was possible. I will definately build a nice holding tank of some kind and see how they react. They would definately be able to get away from each other and there are two Anemone's that are on opposite sides of the tank. The current clown does go into both, however mainly stays in the big one and occasionally hits the RBTA.

Hey Mike,

Lighting will be LED. Like the ecotech....Hate the price. The new Vega is intriguing from AI and I will look forward to some U-tube reviews, etc.

I have also been thinking of putting 4-5 kessil A350's over the tank with 3-4 deep blue A150's for actinic supplementation. I think that would be very cool. I realize you can change the color on the 350's, but figure I could use this set up much like the actinic PC's and T5's. Blue for morning / evening and white for the daytime.

Any thoughts?

I like the sound of the new ais as well. Darn happy with the sol blues! Don't think the radions are twice as good, but they sure cost just about double. Haven't seen the kessil 350s yet, if they had been closer to comin out when I bought the sol blues I would've waited. I do like the reefbrite strips for actinic add on

tank is looking good Kris! Can't believe you're using the refugium like as if it's another display tank, but with lots of macro algae....haha. Very cool.

Well, I made some decisions last weekend and ended up with some new lights.

Ron and I visited the East bay and stopped by El Diablo corals for the first time. Very cool store and it was nice to finally meet Jess. We picked up some corals and marveled at the killer Kessils he has running over many of his tanks. Kessils are something I have been considering, but this is months down the road.

When we got home and starting talking about where to place the coral, I realized there really wasn't anywhere that I wanted to put them that had enough light. So into the frag tank they went. This started a discussion about the lights. "What if we just replaced the 36" metal halide / PC combo fixture in the middle? Well that would take at least 3 of the Kessil A350's...........Could we keep the Maxspect LED's running and just get 3 Kessils? This came from Ron, so suddenly my ears are perched..........Um..........Yeah, we could do that. "Let's just do it then."

So, needless to say, with permission I was wasting NO time! I called around to see who had them in stock and was surprised to find almost everyone was sold out. I Knew I had seen at least one at Diablo, so I called Jess and he had 1 narrow and 1 wide. I wanted 2 narrow and 1 wide.

The concept was to use the wide as Actinic and the narrows for the SPS and deeper coral. Turned out "All about Fish" which is very close to Diablo corals had a few in stock as well. So at 3 in the afternoon on Monday we drove to the east bay and bought 2 narrow Kessil A350's and 1 Wide A350.

By the time we had dinner, got home and figured out a way to hang them, it was almost 9pm. LOL! I wasn't going to let that permission pass!!! 8)

Anyway, my idea of using the wide for actinic quickly went away. These lights are WAY too freaking AWESOME to waste one with mood lighting. So, I put the wide in the center of the tank and the narrows on the right and left of it. However, the coverage just wasn't right? The center has a tall rock with SPS all the way down it. There seemed to be a dark spot down the front of the rock, so I switched a narrow to the middle and it was perfect. I moved the wide to the right of it which has mostly LPS and soft coral and the other narrow to the left to hit the Anemone. Couldn't have been any better. This gave me the coverage I needed to turn the two Maxspect fixtures sideways and get much better coverage front to back. The tank is UNBELIEVABLE right now! I haven't been so excited since it was delivered.

This is temporary as we are planning to buy 3-4 more Kessils in the future to make the tank uniform in color, however it will be great for the next year or so. The hanging solution is also temporary as I just threw them up to get them up. LOL! It turned out pretty good for a rush job, but I will make something much more elegant when I buy the rest of the Kessils. Anyway, sorry for the long story..........here are some pics.

This is the tank with the Metal Halide fixure in the center. .......You can see the VERY obvious difference in light.
IMG_2253.jpg

Here is the tank with the new Kessils and the Maxspects turned sideways.
IMG_2292.jpg

The pics are from my iphone and are NOT doing this justice. But the shimmer and color is AMAZING! It's so elegant!
IMG_2286.jpg

I bought a trellace at Home depot so I would be able to move the lights around as needed......worked great. I was able to place them right where I wanted them.
IMG_2305.jpg

The Anemone basically gets its own light, and it is LOVING it! Doesn't reach anymore and is open wider than I have seen in a long time!
IMG_2307.jpg

Anyway, that is the new lighting solution. I will try to get a decent video of the shimmer and such. Very pleased. Hope you like them too.

Oh, by the way.........when the pics were taken the Kessils were set to be more of a blue and are only at about 40-50% power. You can really change the color a LOT! I will probably look into the stunner strips or something similar for Actinic once I get the rest of the lights and finalize how I am going to hang them.

Coral reefer said:
Woohoo! Nice job. Way to win over Ron by making your tank awesome, and now it's even better!

Thanks Mike. I'm so stoked. You'll have to come by and see it again sometime. It's been so fun watching it grow and change as new stuff is added.

Thanks Monzer! Looking to get as much color as you have in yours someday!

Mike (Bondolo) you are right. That is a lot of light, but man Kessil does a nice job. It's really pleasant to the eye. Camera......not so much. LOL! That is on the list of things to upgrade so I can get some good pics.

Kmooresf said:
Coral reefer said:
Woohoo! Nice job. Way to win over Ron by making your tank awesome, and now it's even better!

Thanks Mike. I'm so stoked. You'll have to come by and see it again sometime. It's been so fun watching it grow and change as new stuff is added.

Mike (Bondolo) you are right. That is a lot of light, but man Kessil does a nice job. It's really pleasant to the eye. Camera......not so much. LOL! That is on the list of things to upgrade so I can get some good pics.

Hate to say no camera upgrade will improve LED shots all that much unless your camera now is ancient and has not manual settings :(

BAYMAC said:
Kmooresf said:
Coral reefer said:

Hate to say no camera upgrade will improve LED shots all that much unless your camera now is ancient and has not manual settings :(

You might be right. I just have a point and shoot. Camera is on the list regaurdless, so if better shots happen. Even better. ;)

Thanks Jim! Having a blast. ;)

Fantastic!!!
I am hoping to switch to LED some day soon. Maybe Christmas or my 51st/
Looking forward to seeing the coral grow!!!!
nice work :)
Beautiful tank.

Been workin on the tank a lot lately. Added a lot of new stuff and rearranged a bit. Corals have adapted nicely to the new lights. I am running them at about 50% power and everything looks great. I didn't think I would play with the color that much, but I find myself tuning in to match the other LED's better for day and night. It's pretty cool.

Anyway, I have been taking lots of pics and thought I would share some.

Took some top down shots while doing a water change.
IMG_2328.jpg

Cup coral is AWESOME!! I know it is a common coral, but I've had this one a long time and it really shines in this tank (IMO of coarse).
IMG_2330-1.jpg

A new Dendro.....Trying to decide if I have it in too much current......might try another spot.
IMG_2332-1.jpg

Biggest mushroom I have ever had. LOL! Haven't measured, but my guess is about 10" accross. Starting to fight with the stylo though. :(
IMG_2333-1.jpg

FTS.....
IMG_2340.jpg

FTS.......
IMG_2342.jpg

FTS with Frag tank
IMG_2343-1.jpg

Back