Neptune Aquatics

Leopard Wrasse

Does anyone have one? Tell me your experiences with them.

Here's mine -

I have been lusting after one after I believe seeing one in Rich's tank, and finally bought one back in October 2007. Okay I have to admit it was an impulse buy because I've been looking for one in lfs'es for quite some time now. I know that they are very finicky eaters as they are known as pod eaters and was a little concerned as I also have a mandarin goby in the tank (I still to this very day have no idea what it eats-but it's fat).

I must have tried everything to get it to feed - Frozen brine, frozen mysis, frozen pe mysis, Rod's food, Artic Pods, flake and pellets. The fish never seemed to be starving, but it was never quite plump like the one Johara has either. Sigh, what to do ....???? I had read that they like Spectrum pellets ummm...no dice. I guess two months had gone by and it was still hanging around swimming about picking at rocks and what not, but just not eating what the other fish were eating, and then ....<ta da> it picking up Spectrum pellets from the rocks as it would drift down and get lodged into the rocks. You would think that this would be success, but it was not because it is not often that food is allowed to get past my other main fish - female swallowtail, yellow tang, and female exquisite wrasse.

And now <horn blows>

I noticed the wrasse eating up a storm now that I've stopped flooding the tank with five different kinds of food to get it to eat. I've let the autofeeder (it is set to dispense twice daily) do it's job, and the wrasse is finally getting it. The wrasse has been actively chasing down whatever I throw in on the off chance as I usually manually feed my smaller tank. I noticed yesterday it kept searching at the square feeding ring hoping that food would maginally appear. The fish seems to be getting a tad more plump too!

Your turn!

Something like 8 out of 10 die a really early death. Heck, half of them die before you even get a chance to see it die at a LFS :(

Back