Jestersix

Light recommendation for Red Sea 130?

I found a reasonable priced used Red Sea 130 as my eventual practice tank. But it is missing the original hood -> I need to find a light.

Tank dimension: 20” x 19” x 23”

I've been using Finnex 24/7 on my freshwater tank and really like auto ramping/moonlight aspect of it so I'm looking to get something similar. Most obvious choice to not break the bank is Current USA Orbit Marine. I'm looking to grow mostly zoa, hammer, torch, xenia and this seems to be border line for LPS?

Orbit_Marine_Light_Specifications.jpg

Have you inspected that tank yet? It has a huge quarter size found gouge in the front and many scratches on the side. He actually delivered it to me and I turned it down (paid him for his time and gas.)

However if you do decide you want it and want an original hood there is one for sale on CL. The guy agreed to $125.00 for it when I talked to him.

I'm trying to find some cheap lighting my self for a reef tank without braking the bank. SPS- zoas. I'm a little confused on the picture above. It says 5-20...... 120-150 is that gallons??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 55 at the moment but I'll looking to get a 120+ gal I wana keep everything. SPS-zoas. Hesitant on acros. I know zoas don't do so will in a SPS tank. And I don't think I don't wana spend much more then $200 on lights. I just can't justify spending $400 plus on lights and my old lady wouldn't be happy spending that money on lighting right now I'm using T5 and they r working but I want better or more?? Idk I don't like Metal halide do to the heat they produce. So I'm on the search

right now I'm using T5 and they r working but I want better or more?? Idk I don't like Metal halide do to the heat they produce. So I'm on the search

I think you need to figure out why you want something different. If T5s work for you right now, why switch? T5s will grow and color everything.

Without going T5's or lucking into a deal, I'm not sure how you'd ever be able to light a 120 with sps for $200.00. But for your 55 the best lighting deal I've found on the market (in my mind) is the Reef Bright LED/T5 combo. You can pick up the 48 inch version for about $250.00 and it puts out a ton of light, it's economical and the light blends well. The downside is if it's not in a canopy it's not the prettiest of lights.
http://www.reefbrite.com/product/retro-t5ho/

I need more t5s, there is no auto dimming or adjustments just on and off, led has a nicer clearer color t5 has a yellow tint, no blue lights, t5 r big and bulky. The only two I really care about is dimming to simulate natural conditions and I want good blue lighting so the coral look awsome at night. But I'd don't mind mixing lighting T5 and led. Idk.

Without going T5's or lucking into a deal, I'm not sure how you'd ever be able to light a 120 with sps for $200.00. But for your 55 the best lighting deal I've found on the market (in my mind) is the Reef Bright LED/T5 combo. You can pick up the 48 inch version for about $250.00 and it puts out a ton of light, it's economical and the light blends well. The downside is if it's not in a canopy it's not the prettiest of lights.
http://www.reefbrite.com/product/retro-t5ho/
Once I more to 120 I know I'll have to spend more like $400 on lights :( and think u for the info I'll look into them.

How hard r the dimable balists to program and will they simulate the natural sun as in the mornings low light and mid day bright light and then back down to low light at night??

Nice cube @roostertech

I'd say slap a kessil350/360 or a radionxr15 on that thing and call it done. They'll both give you the depth penetration you'd like. Grow some LPS on the bottom and SPS on the top if you're interested.

Oh didn't see you were on a budget.

Well the good thing is you're mostly interested in LPS, Zoas, and other soft corals, so you don't need that intense of a light.

Keep an eye out on craigslist for those kessil 360W's. I want to say they're selling for about 250 to 300 used. I've seen a lot of them for under 300$

Heck even the Kessil350W's are nice but no automatic light ramping, stick it on a 5$ light timer for on/off, which seemed to work great for wpeterson aka coral grow-out champion. Sure you can find those for 200$

I need more t5s, there is no auto dimming or adjustments just on and off, led has a nicer clearer color t5 has a yellow tint, no blue lights, t5 r big and bulky. The only two I really care about is dimming to simulate natural conditions and I want good blue lighting so the coral look awsome at night. But I'd don't mind mixing lighting T5 and led. Idk.

T5 bulbs come in blue as well. Even pure actinic.

http://aquarium.bulkreefsupply.com/search?w=ati t5 bulbs

There are also dimmable fixtures but they are pricey.

While LEDs allow for a lot of adjustment, if you are more of a plug n play kinda guy vs fiddling, the adjustability may be more frustrating than useable.

T5s are almost always plug n play.

Corals don't really care if the light comes on suddenly or gradually. Fish might get spooked but get over it pretty quickly. If you have the tubes on separate ballasts, you can turn each one on individually.

My suggestion is to save your pennies on the 55 and run the T5s. Maybe supplement with LEDs. If you can find a pair of Kessil A350s, that will give you a good mix. If you place your sps strategically, it will be fine.

Save those pennies and use it on the big tank. You will need more of everything and can splurge on better eq.

@Enderturtle , I actually didn't end up buying this tank. It had more scratch than I would have liked. And I think I want one with sump now.

Also after reading/pondering, I think I will just bite the bullet and get LED. The short lifespan of T5 bulb bothers me a lot.

T5 bulbs come in blue as well. Even pure actinic.

http://aquarium.bulkreefsupply.com/search?w=ati t5 bulbs

There are also dimmable fixtures but they are pricey.

While LEDs allow for a lot of adjustment, if you are more of a plug n play kinda guy vs fiddling, the adjustability may be more frustrating than useable.

T5s are almost always plug n play.

Corals don't really care if the light comes on suddenly or gradually. Fish might get spooked but get over it pretty quickly. If you have the tubes on separate ballasts, you can turn each one on individually.

My suggestion is to save your pennies on the 55 and run the T5s. Maybe supplement with LEDs. If you can find a pair of Kessil A350s, that will give you a good mix. If you place your sps strategically, it will be fine.

Save those pennies and use it on the big tank. You will need more of everything and can splurge on better eq.

I don't mind fiddling with shit I love the challenge but don't love high prices. Thank u for all the info I don't know coral didn't mind the sudden 100% lights on I thought it would shock the coral just like the fish. All my SPS look like they r doing fine with expos goon to my acro that suddenly dies. But I know acros r hard and wasn't a smart buy but the LFS convinced me other wise. I think ur right I'm gunna just wait and save my penny's until I finally set up my 120

Back