got ethical husbandry?

Looking for a glass shop that is aquarium friendly

This is a two part question:

First, I am the new owner of some starphire plates with some damage. I'm contemplating getting them trimmed down, but in the past when I've ordered from glass shops in SF they don't guarantee the accuracy closer than 1/4". I'm looking for a shop that will cut down two 48"X24"X1/2" panels to 36"X24"X1/2" with enough accuracy that they could be used as front and back panels for a tank. I'd also need a bottom panel cut and (possibly) drilled, and possibly a black end depending on price. I'd want all pieces polished as well for a finished look. I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a shop that would be willing to do this.

For the second part of the question, I'm wondering how someone learns these skills? I'm an avid DIY'er and I have lots of ideas for glass tank projects, and I've been playing around with cutting my own glass for a while. Unfortunately, I suck at it. I took a 29G and made a sump out of it with a bunch of custon cut baffles and mounting tabs, and I managed to turn an entire panel of a store counter that had been thrown away in the steet (about 48X30X3/8) into scraps to get it done. Add to that, as a finished project I'm glad it's something I keep behind closed doors.

I've never found a glass shop here in SF that has really ever impressed me, but I'd love to find an opportunity to "intern" or volunteer some time doing shop work to pick up some glazier skills from a good shop. Kind of throwing this out there on the off chance someone has any ideas. I've toyed with the idea of taking a class at Cradle of the Sun, but I'm actually more interested in the commercial side of things, not business details but larger panels with polished edges and such, instead of thin colorful small pieces.

-Gusty

Ahh... I miss the days of someone being an apprentice at a job, getting better at that job, then becoming someone who can work on their own. I could poke a finger at day laborers under cutting an entire series of professionals, but hell even in my field as a teacher, any one out of college has the same chance to get a teaching job as someone who's been teaching for many years.

Besides Knuckle, good luck. I've been down this Journey and I have scoured the B.A. trying to find one.

GreshamH said:
Besides Knuckle, good luck. I've been down this Journey and I have scoured the B.A. trying to find one.

Gone are the days of Artistic Glass & Aquariums, I don't think they realize how the demand has changed along with the prices.

AG&A can't get insurance to deal with aquariums, he'd still do the work if he could.... or at least that has been his line since he stopped doing it :) I worked right around the corner from there for a few years.

I stopped in there shortly after they stopped doing aquariums, I really wanted a custom tank, it was kinda sad, I could tell the guy was sad and pissed at the same time.

I think he should look into it again, I don't see too much work going on there, I drive past it all the time, I mean, how many shower doors can you do realistically in an area flooded with plumbing supply and kitchen supply places. I have a tank at the premier pluming supply shop in that area and they are shocked at how many places keep opening up.

Yeah I got that from him too, sad and pissed. Kinda hard to have a company named that why and not be able to do that business he was doing for so many years.

Not to side track this too much, but are their glass shops to get low iron ("starphire") in the BA? Might not be able to make an aquarium, but surely they can sell the glass cut to the sizes you want no?

Yes there are shops that sell it, but he wants his cut and some new pieces. Knucklehead is the best person to ask about this as he had mentioned some limits with it last time I spoke to him. FWIW I seem to recall they ordered the low iron pre-cut?

Well I know what he wants, but his wants are not my wants (which is why I mentioned the side-track part ;))

Since Knucklehead isn't around any more (??) I was just curious how easy it would to get LI glass in the area.

You really didn't make it clear you were asking about your needs Mike, but you are smart enought to know this ;)

Not to side track this too much, but are their glass shops to get low iron ("starphire") in the BA? Might not be able to make an aquarium, but surely they can sell the glass cut to the sizes you want no

So the "you" you're talking about is yourself?

Not to side track this too much, but are their glass shops to get low iron ("starphire") in the BA? They might not be able to make an aquarium, but surely they can sell the glass cut to the sizes I want no

Now it makes sense :p

Sidetrack the post all you want, I'm interested in all the info I can get.

Is starphire harder to work with than regular glass? Also, fwiw, the additional panel(s) I'd need cut could be normal glass, ideally I'd be hoping for dark smoke or black glass, but I think the price goes up a lot with colors.

Sounds like I have some leads to work with, thanks guys!

Back