Cali Kid Corals

Looking for pictures of good aquascaping

Dyngoe

Supporting Member
Hey All,

I am moving all of my fish into QT and I figure I may as well rebuild my rock at the same time since I didn't do a very good job the first time around. Now, I know there are some great tanks out there and I'm just looking for your opinions on good rock scaping. If you have any pictures of ones you like, could you post them for me? If it matters I have a 120G 4x2x2 tank with one corner overflow. I'm particularly looking for ideas that have lots of tunnels and ledges, if that makes sense. Thanks in advance.

I wish I had better pics of the aquascaping I have for my 4x2x2. I used a hydrolic cement to connect a bunch of hand picked Tonga LR Jim sent me. I'll try to set the rock up monday or tuesday and snap a pic for you :) It's 4 pillars :D

This is my favorite Aquascaping picture I've seen:

This is my tank's Aquascaping:

There's a CL powered by a Mag 12 that my rocks hide...1" drain in the back right corner and the 1" return is split once on a OM squirt...cant see nathan~!

Sanjay did some nice rock pillars that looked pretty bad ass, but you really need a sandbed to cover up the bases.

There was one guy on RC who had a nice bit, think the thread was Bonsai inspired... or something like that, but it was done with rods, which IMO is really need to to get REALLY creative. Arches and caves are rather easy, overhangs are a PITA.

I'd shoot some pictures of my tank I just setup, but it's got a bit more dimensions (3 feet width) so had a little more room to play around, I don't want to toot my own horn *toot toot* but I did a pretty impressive job of aquascaping for an on the fly, no plan, lets just get it to work bit.

How about this one Matt... Photo was from a thread that Roy pointed me too on RC...

DSC05388.jpg

[quote author=fishnfst link=topic=5289.msg65594#msg65594 date=1227308948]
How about this one Matt... Photo was from a thread that Roy pointed me too on RC...
[/quote]

I've seen it before and am still a big fan of the idea (not necessarily the execution).

There's your problem Perry, the goal isn't to just have more rock for more corals, but to let the corals grow in so you don't need more rock :D

I know, but there's just to many nice corals. [quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=5289.msg65612#msg65612 date=1227316371]
There's your problem Perry, the goal isn't to just have more rock for more corals, but to let the corals grow in so you don't need more rock :D

[/quote]

I know, but there's just to many nice corals.

OK, here's where I ended up, what do you all think? BTW, I still have to clean up the frag shelf and the front sand a little. ;)
608_22_12_08_1_29_49.jpg

That looks great Matt. I'm much more into open space, to be honest. And I really like the open cavities in the rockwork. Is the rock flush against the backpanel? Also, is there circulation going behind the rockwork? I ask because I noticed a lot of detritus collecting behind my rockwork that the cleanup crew could not get to.

I have several rules for my aquascaping:
- No cords, pumps, heaters, overflows should be visible.
- I like caves, fish can hide there - this requires flat rocks
- No rocks close to the front side
- Dark (blue/black) background

I have several rules for my aquascaping:
- No cords, pumps, heaters, overflows should be visible.
- I like caves, fish can hide there - this requires flat rocks
- No rocks close to the front side
- Dark (blue/black) background

I like those "rules" and without knowing I'm somewhat following them.
When it is cleaned up there will be only one "semi" visible cord, but I doubt anyone will notice it.
There are two BIG cave/tunnels that are obvious, but other smaller ones scatter around the structure.
No rock is within 6" of the front with most being at least 10" back.
The back is painted black because I too like simple backgrounds.

Is the rock flush against the backpanel? Also, is there circulation going behind the rockwork?
No, the rock is only flush to the back at the very to middle of the structure. There is a big vertical space on the right and a smaller space on the left. As for flow I have two locline jets spraying out from either "cave", a powerhead also pointed out from the left cave and a locline jet blowing right->left behind the rock. I also have a maxi-jet mod blowing right->left along the top/middle. It would be hard for detrius to build up in there.

Thanks for the posts guys.

Back