Neptune Aquatics

Looking to buy a new skimmer

Well i have been battleing my water parameters for some time now. I think that it is new time for a skimmer. I have been using a old model Euro reef skimmer. I think that it is rated for roughly 80 gallons. I have now 140 gallong total volume tank that i know is overstocked on fish. It is a insump skimmer. For a sump i have been using a 40 gallon long breeder tank. What would you guys reccomend for a skimmer. I have been thinking of one of those really nice bubble kings but they are so damn expensive. I have two over flows in the tank and i have another 40 gallon breeder tank that i want to use to re-do my sump/fuge. I was thinking that i could plum in a gravity fed skimmer. I remember reading that some people felt that those were more efficient. So for a 140gl tank that is over stocked what would you guys reccomend. I dont have any sps in this tank. I hope to in the near future, say 6-8 months down the line get a new tank, 240-300 gallons, but thats not 100% yet. What would you ugys buy. Lets say two ideas, one on budget and one without a budget.

I would consider a MSX skimmer, price wise they can't be beat. I just got myself the msx-250 for my new setup.
http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/catalog/Protein-Skimmers-MSX-Skimmers/c22_48/index.html

so many different opinions that it's hard to get a clear answer from a thread. I'll put my vote for the ATB series- I have the Small and I've been happy with it since I got it 6 months ago. It's performs very well, is easy to adjust, I like the design and the footprint is relatively small. I haven't done much maintanence on it or the pump other than emptying the collection cup. I have 220 gallons, lightly stocked and it can easily handle my bioload. It's not the cheapest skimmer out there though.

Without a budget (but still reasonable for your setup + future) BM250 (Roughly pointing towards $600 or so)

On budget, you can probably find an old ASM G-4 do a recirculating mod on it or something and get some extra duty out of it.

Oh, and don't overstock your tank... cheapest way to keep water quality up :D

BM250 is that the bubble master? If so do you happen to have a link for that? I have done a little and i do meran a little reasearch into them and every where i have looked that are like 1k+

New BM250s (and MSX skimmers) are in sump only. It is not recommended to do the recirc mod unless you still have the sicce pumps submerged in the water. Supposedly they run too hot. To me the msx skimmers look pretty much like BM clones.

MrManz, you might be thinking of Bubble Kings for 1k+

And whoops, I meant BM200 (not 250)... Here's one particular store (that I in no way endorse) although they all seem to hit at the same price $599
http://www.fishsupply.com/sps-ati200.html
A local guy sells them too... can't recall the website.

Ian, I meant a recirc on the ASM skimmer not the BM

And hell, if the MSX are BM clones go that route! ASM skimmers were "Euroreef clones" for the longest time (even though they do have some fundamental differences)

I'm going to be honest. I don't know about any of the brands u all are talking about. I know about euroreef, berlin, bubble king, and deltec. That's about it. I don't mind spending 600-800 bit less is always better.

try contacting Ed...he helped me select the skimmer that best fit my tank. It was probobly the best investment ive made with all the money ive spent...

http://kmaintl.homestead.com/index.html

the octopus Extremes are coralvue clones of the MSX as well. Very good skimmers. This thing pulls out a lot of gunk. Now i jsut need to keep my in sump water level correct with a ATO and i'm set.

I ordered one of the MSX skimmers. Should be here next week sometime. Thank you all for the input. I'm really hoping this helps with my water. My old ER doesn't even pull out a full collection cup anymore. I'm really hoping this clears up my water issues, or atleast helps.

you'll like the msx its a great budget skimmer, I had an octopus NW200 + mesh mod that worked great , this octopus Extreme 200 works even better jsut need to keep my sump water volume line in line to get it dial in perfectly.

Well this is going to sound bad, but u need to keep the in-sump skimmer at a certain water depth? Is it dependant on the skimmer, or is there a standard height? What should I keep mine at? I'm buying the 200.

the recommended height is just that, a recommendation for optimum performance. my in-sump skimmer had water higher than recommended and it still worked, I just had to adjust the skimmer appropriately. It probalby didn't work at 100% efficiency, but still plenty good for me. You can always add a simple stand underneath the skimmer to raise it up to the optimum water level.

I'm sure someone has thought of this but a good way to keep a submerged skimmer at the right depth would be to put it on egg crate that is attached to something that's buoyant like water bottles or foam. I plan on trying it when i get time. My only concern is keeping the total weight afloat. Plus you want a section in the sump just to fit the skimmer so that you don't have to worry about it teetering.

I think it's better to keep them in closer to 10" of water. I noticed at 8", my water line would be right around the taper of the neck, maybe a cm or so above. At 11", my water line is a good 2" below the taper of the cup (maxed out, essentially).

Back