got ethical husbandry?

Low Magnesium

I just tested my magnesium and it's at 1100. I ordered 2 part starter kit from BRS which includes a gallon magnesium kit. I used their calculator and it recommends to add the following for 110 gallon total system volume (tank and sump included) to get the magnesium to 1350.

Need: 2217.7 ml; 74.9 fl oz; 443.5 tsp

Does this sound right? Use more than half a gallon to bring the magnesium up to 1350? Also once brought to this level will it stay at this level for awhile? Just wanted to know in case I need to buy a backup supply.

Also what is the best/correct way to add the magnesium? Drip line over a number hours/days or just add all at the same time?
Thanks! :)

Yep. It takes a lot to bring MG back up once it drops. Doesn't surprise me at all. I would maybe spread it out over several days rather then just dumping the whole amount in at once.

keep an eye on your tank salinity while adding that much mag. Also keep an eye on salinity over time. 2part causes salinity to creep up. If you are habitually low in Mg, you may want to consider another salt mix.

You think I can use it as topoff water? I use Seachem Reef salt. I'm not dosing 2 part just the magnesium only. My calcium is at 500 and kh is at 8. ph is at 8.4. Salinity is at 1.025.

I had the same issue with low MG for a while - using reefcrystals. I added MG to my CA reactor to help keep it up. But yes, it takes a TON of material to get it up just a little bit! To go from 1100-1350+ I did daily additions for about 2-3 weeks...

-Kyle

Once I get it at 1350 does it stay steady at that number for awhile or will it drop? 2-3 weeks is a loooonggg time.

Is it ok to put the magnesium bottle to my ATO or is it best just to drip it in?

Hey John,

I think it's the salt... I have the same issue with Seachen reef salt.
So I went to test the freshly mixed water and it is at that low level....
I'm just waiting for the bucket to finish and I'll probably be switching salt mix.

Did you guys mix your salt well prior to mixing with water? I was having wacky params with seachem reef salt for a while then I found out it was best to mix the salt first for about 5 minutes before making up a new batch.

newhobby said:
Hey John,

I think it's the salt... I have the same issue with Seachen reef salt.
So I went to test the freshly mixed water and it is at that low level....
I'm just waiting for the bucket to finish and I'll probably be switching salt mix.

Really? I'm not sure if it's the salt. Looking at this post it's 1450. This is the one of the most common salt I've seen in most LFS.

sfboarders said:
Really? I'm not sure if it's the salt. Looking at this post it's 1450. This is the one of the most common salt I've seen in most LFS.
Maybe it is my batch... Who knows....
Why don't you test yours and let me know.
I'm going to try Rommel's suggestion. Maybe it is my noobness and I should mix the salt before putting it in the water.

I didn't even see Rommel's comment because he posted the same time as me. Haha! :bigsmile: I didn't know you have to mix the salt first before putting it in the water. Learning something new everyday....

I didn't either, Just found that out late last year. :) Robert and a couple others here suggested to roll the bucket around for a couple minutes making sure everything gets mixed well. I still use seachem now and params have been in range since then.

kvosstra said:
I had the same issue with low MG for a while - using reefcrystals. I added MG to my CA reactor to help keep it up. But yes, it takes a TON of material to get it up just a little bit! To go from 1100-1350+ I did daily additions for about 2-3 weeks...

-Kyle

Hey Kyle, did you use dolomite to increase your Mg in your CA reactor? Where did you get it from?

V

melly mel said:
Robert and a couple others here suggested to roll the bucket around for a couple minutes.

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Bad info!!!!!! the salt comes from the mixer properly blended, the more you toss it around the more the blend "sifts" itself and composition can change, especially if you're not making up large batches of saltwater.

Personally I've never had low mag levels with SeaChem Reef, not to say that it can't happen, but if anything IME the mag level is a little high. I use about 2 buckets a week, so I have a decent idea of the QC.

Hmm, I have been using SeaChem Reef in the last half a year, and found my tanks was off about one and half a month ago. Salifert measured at 1100 for Mg, and I have been slowly trying to bring Mg up. It does take a lot of dosing to bring it up even a little.

I do W/C every week and just started using Seachem Reef salt and can confirm the that the Mag is low. The 1st test I did last week it read 1150 on a Elos test, I tested twice. Yesterday when I did my W/C it tested at 1200. Cal and Alk were at 500/9.6 on Salifert.

I just went through my second bucket of seachem reefsalt (which is a lot of WCs on a 40g) and my mag is habitually low too...but I might not be dosing enough mg to compensate the 2part.

I dunno if this is true but I read on another forum (not RC) that doing WC can drop magnesium. Is this true?

Wow, I thought I was the only problem having low magnesium with Seachem Reef Salt. Are you guys still gonna stick to Reef Salt and dose or try another brand? I'd like to try the Aquavitro stuff but that's too expensive for me.

tuberider said:
melly mel said:
Robert and a couple others here suggested to roll the bucket around for a couple minutes.

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Bad info!!!!!! the salt comes from the mixer properly blended, the more you toss it around the more the blend "sifts" itself and composition can change, especially if you're not making up large batches of saltwater.

Personally I've never had low mag levels with SeaChem Reef, not to say that it can't happen, but if anything IME the mag level is a little high. I use about 2 buckets a week, so I have a decent idea of the QC.

Whoops, my mistake...looking back at my convo with Robert was actually regarding new batch of salt mix not clearing up. Sorry Robert, didnt mean to throw your name out there reffering to bad info. :) I think I posted a same question on rc and thats where I got mixing the salt from.

Jeremy, How bad is it to mix the salt? I been doing it for around 4 months now and everything is thriving. Fresh batch levels are pretty on the spot.

Back