Neptune Aquatics

Low Ph?

After getting my new Apex controller I have been watching my Ph readings for the first time, and I have noticed that my Ph has a range of 7.9-8.1. I have to assume that my ph has always been around this number and just didn't know it. i have done some searching and have found many different answers to this question. Some say it should be in the 8.1-8.3 range and low readings are due to low Alk "mine is 8.5 this morning" or a high carbon dioxide level in the tank/house, others say that any real level is ok as long as it stable. Curious on everyones else's opinion on this. Only reason I ask is I noticed one of my corals started to RTN this morning and my long tentacle anemone wasn't looking so good this morning.

What type of coral is RTNing?
Any pests? (most of the bad ones are hard to see with the naked eye)
Dip may help.

Did you make any changes recently? Before adding the Apex?

Who knows if the Apex is accurate? :D pH is difficult to control so I say, and do, just let it hang where it hangs. If you have a way to add more O2 great, if not, I wouldn't worry.

DSC_0019%20(16)%20-%20Version%202.jpg

This green pocillapora frag and

DSC_0030%20(18)%20-%20Version%202.jpg

This one that I got from Bryan 2 weeks ago. I forget its name.
They both looked ok last night but this morning the tissue was just peeling away. The only other change to the tank besides the Apex was I put on a Vortec pump on thursday night. The 2 corals are on opposite ends of the tank, and the only other issue is my anemone shriveled up and is not looking to good either. Everything else in the tank looks ok.

I have a Milwaukee PH controller and RK2 with probes and still after calibrating both sometimes the readings are not the same; .1 or .2 difference. Before calibrating both probes again I test with a kit.
Digital units read between 8.0 (night, we normally close all windows) and 8.3; the test kits keep very consistent with the readings ~8.2

Back