Lower light Zoas or Paly's?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Bruce Spiegelman, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Bruce Spiegelman

Bruce Spiegelman Supporting Member

I have a large shelf rock where I'm currently growing out a zoa garden. Above it is a rock that has some zoas growing nicely down a gradual sloping front. I'd like to find a zoa or two that I can spread down the side as well, but it receives somewhat shaded lights. Any thoughts of what might work? Or is it just hit or miss with every colony being different regardless of type or species?

2. roostertech

roostertech reef noob

I noticed that when growing on slope/shaded, zoa tend to get a lot more spaced out. What about making it a mushroom slope?

3. Bruce Spiegelman

Bruce Spiegelman Supporting Member

I'm not big on mushrooms, plus I love the look of dozens of different color Zoas all growing together and overlapping.

4. Gablami

Gablami Supporting Member

In lower light the stalks become elongated, like they're looking for light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. RandyC

RandyC Supporting Member

Purely anedoctal and from my small sample size of frag plugs in lower light, but smaller polyp zoas like rastas and eagle eyes seem to do okay. And like @Gablami said, my larger polyp zoas will stretch their stalks to reach the light even though they're at the same light level as the smaller zoas.

Low light for me at max light cycle though is still at least 80 par.

6. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

Most of my zoas are on the sandbed where the light isn't very high. They're getting like 70-100 on the PAR meter last time that I checked. No elongation on any of the stalks.

Rastas, PPEs, utter chaos, and some sort of vampire zoas in the background.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  7. Baykes

Baykes Webmaster

I the majority should be fine. I have had problems with zoas getting too much light but not really vice versa. I have some purple deaths and grandis in particularly shaded areas.

8. Chromis

Chromis Guest

I second @RandyC on eagle eyes surviving OK in shade. But zoas are much better in light. This colony is under an overhang but occasionally one side gets a little light reflected on it. You can see how they brown out and get smaller and more stretchy further into the shade. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk