ltb.. pair of snowflake, or Picasso snowflake clowns

Discussion in 'Fish and Invertebrates' started by eldiablosrt8, May 15, 2010.

1. eldiablosrt8

eldiablosrt8 Sponsor

Should I buy captive bred or wild???

Where should I order from... mine refuse all anemones...LOL

2. tuberider

tuberider Guest

ORA is a great source, most of our sponsors order from them, those strains are not found in the wild, so it's captive only.

In general I buy captive clowns only, they tend to be free from brook.

3. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

At one of the LFS I go to they put some chemical (I think copper?) in all of their tanks which are fish only. I got my Black Ocellaris from there and they were wild caught. To my knowledge copper will kill any disease, but it kills pretty much everything but fish unless the levels of copper are low enough.

From what I've recently heard, all clownfish are born with an instinct to go into anemones. My clownfish don't accept any anemones under 6" which is why they only use the RBTA. Yours may not go into anemones unless the anemones are big enough, and depending on the environment and other fish's behaviors they may not need the anemone. I personally think there are a lot of factors in whether the clownfish will accept the anemone.

And as for where to order from, I would also suggest ORA. :)

4. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Read up on copper as what you believe is wrong :) Copper is really only for certain parasites, which are not diseases but parasites :)

5. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

Oh I thought it killed diseases. That is what an LFS told me, but they don't have the best knowledge. (The LFS wasn't a BAR sponsor.)

6. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

kills Marine Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans) and Marine Velvet (Amyloodinium ocellatum)... Those two I know it works on, both are parasites. Simply read the bottle, it should acknowledge what it treats ;)

It does effect fungal infections, bacterial infections, and some flukes but there are much better medications for those then copper. Copper tend to be tough on fish and there's quite a few (like angels) that do not do well in it. There are even some species of clowns to do not like it.

7. eldiablosrt8

eldiablosrt8 Sponsor

ok back to the subject....

who is a lfs that deals with ORA and canget me 2 semi snowflakes or maybe as a back up a mated pair of sadelback oraustalian black percula mated pair

8. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

Green Marine makes ORA orders every now and then. You could PM him and see if they're available from ORA and he might be able to order them for you with the next ORA order. Mated pairs are harder to find in stores but you can sometimes find them. There are a lot of mated pairs of fish online.
    Here's a website that sells mated pairs of Black Percula, mated pairs of Saddlebacks, and they also sell ORA semi snowflakes. They sell lots of other fish too! http://www.aquacon.com/Clownfish_saltwaterfish.html

9. dswong01

dswong01 Supporting Member

eldiablosrt8
    PM finger winkles he had baby black darwin clowns that he hatch and raised. He may have more. He is our local clown breeder. FYI He is in the eastbay near orinda/layfayette

10. iani

iani Guest

That online store has really bad reviews. I would not ever consider buying anything from them.

As for LFS, I know Green marine, ocean treasures, and aquatic central do ORA orders. I'm sure some of the south bay stores do them as well.

11. patrickb

patrickb Supporting Member

Aquatic Central on Ocean Ave. here in SF has a sweet pair of platinum clowns. check it out.

12. eldiablosrt8

eldiablosrt8 Sponsor

did you catch price???

13. tuberider

tuberider Guest

They are actually Wyoming Whites, he wants around $600.

14. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

It was $600 per fish, right? Or was it $600 for both?

15. tuberider

tuberider Guest

$600 for the pair, they've been in the shop as mascots fro quite a while and are not little popcorns anymore.

16. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

BLOWN AWAY some one on BAR recommended aquaCON as a place to do anything :(

Matthew you really should look deeper into who you suggest. aquaCON has a horrid history of ripping people off.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=h7R&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=aquacon+%2B+BBB&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

BBB give them an F

17. eldiablosrt8

eldiablosrt8 Sponsor

ok so i have decide to go with a semi pair.... i rather have the cool anemone,LOL

so here is the? of the day....

semi picaso
    or
    semi snowflake

whats ur guys opinion

18. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

Just depends - do you like black more or white?

If black, then onyx picasso. If white, then snowflake.

19. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

..but...it doesn't matter if you're black or white...

20. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

I think you should get whatever you want. You'll be the one looking at them multiple times everyday. Just go with your gut feeling. I like Onyx, but I bought Black Ocellaris because I had no clue what Onyx were back then. Shop around for a long time and make sure what you're buying is what you really really want. If I could, I would've traded my Black Ocellaris for an Onyx pair in a heartbeat, but now that I have an emotional attachment to them I wouldn't trade them even for $1,000,000.