Neptune Aquatics

Lucky Goldfish Going out of Business

So I went in to the Lucky Goldfish in Oakland on Broadway and found out they are closing after over 20 years. Hunter had a great display tank which is now being picked apart piece by piece, very sad. I spoke to him and his wife as I frequent their store about once a week and could tell it was a terrible way for it all to end. Most everything I saw was on sale, I saw alot of used Halide and T5 lighting and all of their tanks are up for sale as well as basic pet supplies. So just an FYI if you want to go check it out and try to get some deals. Leaves me with one less option in the east bay for supplies, sorry to see the mom and pop shops go and the PETCO's survive. They said they are officially closed on the 28th of feb. See ya'll at the swap.

Man. I hope that the surviving stores somehow become stronger by the loss of so many others. Seems like a wildfire taking em down left and right. Some I won't miss, but less competition seems bad for hobbyists. Damn Internet and poor economy!

I know I will miss this store. Didn't make it by often but always enjoyed myself when I did. That display tank was the best I've ever seen in a store.

Coral reefer said:
Damn Internet and poor economy!

That has something to do with it, but mostly it's the increase in rent.

The area is going through a redevelopment. South, across the street are fancy condos with fancy restaurants (Ozumo, Pican). A block away east, are "ultra-luxury" apartments. The buildings next to LG are empty car showrooms.

I got hunch (just a hunch, no evidence whatsoever), some new fancy development is in the works. Metro man health and spa club?

It would seem the rent was a big factor, the owners mentioned that their lease was up and to renew was more money. In alameda alone when PETCO came in, both aquarium stores went out of business and now we only have them.

Bummer. I was in for the first time last Sunday. The display tank was indeed very nice and they had a lot of good stock and supplies.

Back