High Tide Aquatics

Mantis Shrimp hitchhiker

derek_SR

Supporting Member
Found a little mantis shrimp in my tank - 100% positive ID. He’s about 1.5” long.

Anyone have any experience with these, or recommendations on how to catch him? How long until the apocalypse?

Yeah. Chopped up shrimp or something. He will stay in the same hole. The easiest way is to take the rock out and move it to a small aquarium. Then use the bottle trap. You know you got the right rock when the ticking goes away and moves into the small aquarium.
I had him for a while. He’s kinda fun. Never hurt anything. I gave him to Dennis.
They are usually clubbers from the gulf.

I’ve had 2 mantis’ over the years, both smackers. First one was all black, about an inch long and was in the tank for probably 3 years before disappearing. Now I have what I think is a wennerae from some Florida rock that’s about 3”. I have it in with my breeding occilaris clowns with no issue. Ime, the aggressiveness and dangerousness of small smashers is overstated, unless you’re a snail or hermit crab ;). Plus they’re super cool critters.

Oh - hmmm, well maybe i’ll just leave him be! They are super cool - I was mostly afraid of losing fish. But this guy is a clubber and doesn’t even eat fish. Thanks for the great link above.

Back