Our mission

Maxspect G2, anyone use it?

Hi

I've been building a clustered full spectrum LED setup and I was using makersled heatsinks but my new tank does not allow for it to be used since it had a slim canopy (about 6" tall) so my options for lighting are either flat LED fixture or T5's

Well I have come across a Maxspect G2 170w (56x3w LED) and according to the seller pretty much all the LEDs have been upgraded to Cree. I'm not loving the fact that it's not clustered but that option is not viable for my current application...

I'm supposed to pick it up tomorrow afternoon so I figured I'd consult with you guys before buying.
Anyone use one of these? any feedback would be appreciated

Well the problem is I don't have all the LEDs yet for my current build and frankly since I'm too lazy/busy (combination of both) to transplant or rebuild the system on a new heatsink I figured why not go for the Maxspect? the guy's asking $130 and that's probably close to or just above the cost of a new heatsink (at least something that looks decent and includes 2 slim fans) I figured it's worth it specially since it includes a bunch of CREE LEDs which typically cost more than that on their own.

I do plan to have a second fixture for a frag tank or nano setup whichever comes first so I can continue putting together my full spectrum build and go from there, but I am mainly concerned with the performance of the G2 and it seems they didn't sell that many of these when they were in production so the web doesn't provide a well rounded set of reviews.

Oh yes, definitely worth it for the heatsink alone, I think you just gave me the definitive answer with that link...

It would cost me $102 before shipping to buy one 8"x30" bare heatsink through heatsinkusa.com I'll just consider this a heatsink purchase with free LEDs, fans & drivers :D

Decided to put it up & see how it is and it's not too bad, I actually like it much better than the MH + T5 Cad Lights fixture I had. This made me re-motivated to get off my butt & get my DIY setup finished, which technically should be even better...

Crappy cell phone pic

IMAG0186.jpg

Last edited:
Back